Menu

Missing PyDev Extensions item in Preferences?

2007-10-08
2013-03-15
  • Benjamin Han

Benjamin Han - 2007-10-08

PyDev 1.3.9
    Eclipse 3.3.0
    Windows XP SR2 and Linux Fedora Core 6

I saw from this link

http://www.fabioz.com/pydev/buy.html

that I should have a "PyDev Extensions" item showing up in PyDev Preferences (otherwise there's no way to enter a license). But mine didn't - in fact on both Windows XP and Linux I'm missing this item. Any suggestion to turn it back on?

Thank you!

• Hannes Mueller

Hannes Mueller - 2007-10-09

Are you sure you have *both* PyDev and PyDev Extensions installed?

• Benjamin Han

Benjamin Han - 2007-10-09

Yes that was the problem: I missed a second update site and now it's installed and running.

But, it only works on my Linux installation, not on my Windows XP installation (both have the same Eclipse version, same set of plugins etc).

On Windows XP I saw a LOT of errors popping up in my code. It seems to be triggered by module not found by PyDev extensions (e.g., math, thus triggering undefined symbols such as math.ceil etc).

Any more tips? Thanks a lot!

• Hannes Mueller

Hannes Mueller - 2007-10-09

If you get loads of errors, check the Python Interpreter and the system PYTHONPATH in  "Window -> Preferences -> Pydev -> Interpreter"
          It sometimes helps to remove the python.exe and readd it, so that the files are scanned again.

Hope that helps.

• Benjamin Han

I checked and the relevant .dll seems to be found on my Windows installation too. Here is some info:

$ python
            Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May 18 2007, 16:56:43)
            [GCC 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)] on cygwin
            Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
            >>> import math
            >>> math.__file__
            '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/math.dll'
            >>>

And I can confirm c:\cygwin\lib\python2.5\lib-dynload\math.dll is in the list of "compiled libs found in PYTHONPATH (dlls)" in the PyDev preferences.

Thanks!

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-10-09

I think your problem is the same that has been said in the other post (pydev and cygwin currently don't mix well).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Benjamin Han

Thanks - but this happened on Linux as well; see this message

http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4560057

I had to add math and itertools to the "forced builtin libs" to get rid of some errors detected by PyDev.

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-10-09

Humm... in linux the problem has the same effect but has another cause: pydev does not handle symlinks at the current version (this is already fixed in the cvs and should be available for the next release -- together with zip support), and usually, paths in linux have lots of symlinks... if you go and put the actual paths instead of the symlinks it should work (putting those into forced builtins is also an option).

Cheers,

Fabio

• Benjamin Han

But interestingly there is no symlink in the unresolved path /usr/lib64/python2.4/lib-dynload/mathmodule.so

$ ls -ld /usr
                    drwxr-xr-x 16 root root 4096 Mar  5  2007 /usr

$ ls -ld /usr/lib64
                    drwxr-xr-x 125 root root 122880 Oct  9 09:56 /usr/lib64

$ ls -ld /usr/lib64/python2.4
                    drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 20480 Jul 18 11:57 /usr/lib64/python2.4

$ ls -ld /usr/lib64/python2.4/lib-dynload/
                    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 18 11:57 /usr/lib64/python2.4/lib-dynload/

$ ls -ld /usr/lib64/python2.4/lib-dynload/mathmodule.so
                    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 18032 Oct 23  2006 /usr/lib64/python2.4/lib-dynload/mathmodule.so

• Fabio Zadrozny

Fabio Zadrozny - 2007-10-10

Just checked it here... I'm on windows right now, but in this case, I believe it should be the same for linux too:

math, itertools, marshal, md5, etc. are all modules that are only available within the interpreter (they don't actually have a math.so or itertools.so as regular compiled modules), so, in this case they should all be in the forced builtins... but pydev should be able to get those automatically for you when you configure the interpreter (actually, all that come from doing: "import sys; print sys.builtin_module_names"). If they don't appear for you in the default interpreter installation, it could be a bug... can you check that? There are some more details about it at: http://www.fabioz.com/pydev/manual_101_interpreter.html

Cheers,

Fabio

• Benjamin Han

Benjamin Han - 2007-10-10

Hi Fabio,

It's a Fedora Core 6 (x86_64).

$ python
                        Python 2.4.4 (#1, Oct 23 2006, 13:58:18)
                        [GCC 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)] on linux2
                        >>> import sys; print sys.builtin_module_names
                        ('__builtin__', '__main__', '_codecs', '_sre', '_symtable', 'errno', 'exceptions', 'gc', 'imp', 'marshal', 'posix', 'pwd', 'signal', 'sys', 'thread', 'zipimport')
                        >>>

I can also confirm Python 2.5.1 on Windows XP (cygwin) doesn't have math and itertools in the builtin_module_names.

• Benjamin Han

Just found that on Linux PyDev Extensions didn't exactly work either. I have "unresolved import" on the line

import math

Here is some info of my installation (under Python interpreter):

Python 2.4.4 (#1, Oct 23 2006, 13:58:18)
      [GCC 4.1.1 20061011 (Red Hat 4.1.1-30)] on linux2
      >>> import math
      >>> math.__file__
      '/usr/lib64/python2.4/lib-dynload/mathmodule.so'
      >>>

And I can confirm that /usr/lib64/python2.4/lib-dynload/mathmodule.so is in the list "compiled libs found in PYTHONPATH (dlls)" in the PyDev preferences.