|Version 9 (modified by moorman, 5 years ago)|
SourceForge.net provides a real-time statistics system for tracking and trending project activity (user visits, posts to Tracker, downloads, etc.). Project statistics are the basis of project rankings, which permit the activity and vitality of two projects to be compared head-to-head.
- Project statistics may be accessed using the "Statistics" menu option under the "Summary" dropdown menu on any project's Project Summary page.
- The statistics system permits the viewing of data with a selectable time period: last 7 days (daily), last 2 months (daily), last 12 months (monthly), per-year (monthly), and all time (annual).
- SourceForge.net subscribers are provided access to real-time statistics data for the past 48 hours through the "Last 48 hours" time period.
- Graphs of project activity are provided, helping you visually identify trends.
- Project administrators are given access to a "Rank History" page, which provides a breakdown of the components of their project ranking.
What benefit does statistics data provide to my project?
- Publicity: High project ranking will list project in our top projects listing and move the project toward the top of the listings for search results and the Software Map.
- Self-Evaluation: Projects may use the statistics to determine whether overall product usage is increasing or declining, and help gauge buzz about new releases.
- SourceForge.net Feature Usage: Statistics allow projects to trend their project activity on a per-feature basis, which helps in the evaluation of which project features should be enabled to best meet the needs of the project.
- Project Growth: Project teams love the encouragement they receive from active use of their software.
- Capacity Needs: How does SourceForge.net help you? SourceForge.net project services are provided free of charge. The download and project web activity pages will give you an idea of the volume of traffic you are serving through our servers, and how that compares to other, similar projects hosted on SourceForge.net.
Project Web Statistics
There are three sets of data collected on the project web statistics. These are:
- Hits: The total number of files served from the project web service, as per collected web server log data.
- Pages: The total number of times the project web logo was loaded.
- Bandwidth: The aggregate amount of data transferred from the project web service to and from people who access the project web pages.
Project logos may be displayed on external web sites in order to have our statistics engine count such pages. However, the Hits value and the Bandwidth value will not increase when external hosting is used. Use of the provided logo image is only permitted for use on project-related pages on external hosted web sites, or on pages served from project web space.
Initial draft finished 2009-01-21