Flex SDK Versions
The Flex SDK was open sourced as of version 3.
Version | Last Milestone or Stable Release (download)
Flex 4.6 | November 29, 2011
Flex 4.5.1 | June 19, 2011
Flex 4.5 | May 2, 2011
Flex 4 | March 21, 2010
Flex 3 | December 11, 2009
Flex 4.6 is the next major step in cross-platform mobile application development and offers several new components and functionality specifically designed to help developers create applications for the latest mobile and tablet devices.
The 3 primary themes of Flex's next release, code-named, Hero, are:
- Multi-Screen Development: Allow developers to build applications that target the web, desktop or mobile devices using a single unified framework.
- Spark Maturation: Polish and grow the Spark architecture by adding new Spark components and capabilities.
- Large-Application Development: Support developers building large applications by improving fundamental pieces of the Flex infrastructure.
As of March 21, 2010, Flex 4 has been released. It is has 3 primary themes:
- Design in Mind: provide a framework meant for continuous collaboration between designer and developer.
- Developer Productivity: improve compiler performance and add productivity enhancements to language features like data binding
- Framework Evolution: take advantage of new Flash Player capabilities and add features required by common use-cases
Flex 3 was initially released on February 25, 2008. It was focused in 4 areas:
- Designer/Developer workflow: e.g., enhanced constraints, Flex Component Kit for Flash CS3
- Working with data: e.g., list effects
- Adobe AIR applications: support in the framework for Adobe AIR features
- Platform evolution: e.g., persistent framework caching, compiler performance