Vireo Electronic Thesis and Dissertation Management System
Vireo is a turnkey Electronic Thesis and Dissertation (ETD) Management System
developed by the Texas Digital Library that addresses all steps of the ETD
process, from submission to publication to preservation.
Vireo provides students the ability to submit their digital theses and
dissertations via a simple online interface. Graduate offices can use Vireo to
manage the ETD submission and approval process.
For information about the Texas Digital Library and Vireo - go to http://www.tdl.org/etds/.
Vireo 1.2.1 - Release Notes - (February 27, 2012)
- Fix: Student UI - Birth Year Error (VIR-58)
When a student is entering his/her information in the birth date
[mm/dd/yyyy] instead of birth year [yyyy] on the first page or first step
of the submission process they receive a fatal error. Amy Rushing, and
others at UT requested this fix to address the frequent questions and
concern expressed by students about not being able to start a submission.
- Enhancement: Student UI / Admin UI - Clear/Empty Birth Year
A student (via review), or admin can remove a birth year from a submission.
Laura Hammons at A&M requested this functionality to address some
student concerns of birth year showing by their name is several places.
Previously, the birth year field could not be changed from a valid year to
blank/empty (although since it is an optional field, it could be blank if it
was never entered).
- Fix: Special characters are corrupted when and admin edits the abstract
A student uses special characters in the abstract (UTF-8). If an admin
edits the abstract on the Admin>View>Document Info tab, then in some cases,
the special characters change/become corrupted.
- Unicode characters should work in the following fields: 'First Name',
'Middle Initial', 'Last Name', 'Permanent Address', 'Current Address',
'Title', 'Keywords', 'Abstract', and 'Committee Member' fields.
- The '&', '%', and '+' symbols should now work in the following fields:
Title, Keywords, and Abstract.
- Fixed an issue with characters not showing correctly when opening the
SUBMISSION_LOG.csv using Microsoft Excel (the log that appears after
- Enhancement: Version number in Student UI / Admin UI footer
Building and Deploying Vireo
* Option A: Install from a release package
1. Download and untar the latest vireo release package
2. Follow the instructions under:
* Option B: Build and install from source
1. Download and untar the Vireo Source tar file.
2. Follow the instructions under:
Upgrading From a Previous Release
On an existing installation the only modification needed is to run the script
The instructions for a fresh installation will automatically create the
correct table structure.
To visually confirm that the structure is correct, inspect vireosubmission
table and look for the column names embargo_name, embargo_duration and
Vireo on Amazon Web Services
Vireo has been packaged as an Amazon Machine Image (AMI) for use with Amazon
Web Services (AWS). For information about running Vireo as an Amazon Machine
Image -- see dspace-vireo/docs/vireo_on_aws.txt.
License and Copyright
Copyright (c) 2011, Texas Digital Library
All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the Texas Digital Library nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.