Rockstor is a Network Attached Storage (NAS) and private cloud storage solution based on advanced Linux technologies like BTRFS, Docker and others. In addition to standard NAS features like file sharing via NFS, Samba, SFTP and AFP, advanced features such as online volume management, CoW Snapshots, asynchronous replication, compression, and bitrot protection are supported based on BTRFS.
Rockstor also provides apps like ownCloud, Syncthing, OpenVPN, and Plex to name a few. Apps or "Rock-ons" are powered by a Docker-based application hosting framework. And new ones can be simply added. These Rock-ons, combined with advanced NAS features, turn Rockstor into a private cloud storage solution accessible from anywhere, giving users complete control of cost, ownership, privacy and data security.
- Installs on commodity 64-bit hardware or hypervisors like Xen, VMWare and KVM
- Browser based UI
- Advanced BTRFS features: Dynamic pool management, software RAID and more
- CoW Snapshots, Fast cloning and dynamic provisioning of Shares
- File sharing via NFS, Samba, SFTP and AFP.
- ownCloud, Syncthing, OpenVPN, Plex and more apps
- Docker based application hosting framework
- Replication of Shares to remote appliance
- RESTful API for programmability
- Realtime monitoring via dashboard
- demo: http://rockstor.com
Finally we have a Linux based btrfs powered FreeNAS alternative! Good job!
Is the most functional NAS platform for the primary purpose of a NAS - securely storing data, and I include Synology DSN (5.2) in that statement. This is mainly because Rockstor is based on the btrfs file system, so can do Shared Folder snapshotting. One feature it is missing is encrypted replication, but that is on the roadmap apparently.
Very promising foundation for a NAS. Easy to install, a clean UI that exploits killer features of BTRFS, and a responsive development team. Both BTRFS and Rockstor have work to do to fully realize their respective visions, but it's a very nice start.
A great NAS OS and easy to use and setup. The support is amazing as well. They know what they're doing and have excellent steps and follow up.
I have been watching this project for quite some time. They have made tremendous progress. This is very promising NAS solution on BTRFS, with some cool plugins(Rock-Ons). All the best.