The Popcorn Linux project is exploring how to design operating system for future multi- and many-core hardware platforms, that can be Instruction Set Architecture (ISA)-diverse, based on the Linux kernel.
- replicated-kernel OS
- based on Linux kernel (3.2.14)
- for high core-count SMP and clusters (heterogenous support to come)
- supports inter-kernel process and thread migration
- (on shared memory and non-shared memory platforms)
- pluggable messaging layer for different transports mechanisms
- (SMP is supported through software partitioning of hardware)