Cross-platform application to send
text messages to any mobile
using the free credits available
via your eMobile, Meteor, Vodafone or
O2 WebText or your VOIP account.
Copyright (C) 2006-2010
Finbarr Brady, Keith Flynn.
Please report bugs to:
Jelly SMS 4.3.7
- Removed phone book import from certain operator sites due to incompatibility
- Fixed Meteor.ie support
- Added eMobile.ie support
- Made startup more robust when checking database, or existing instance.
- Fixed dictionary installation dialog. The dialog was not
showing any dictionaries as available.
- We no longer replace % symbols with "pc" and & symbols
- Removed extra "+" symbol in destination number in
- Added support for siptraffic.com
- Added support for voicetrading.com
Jelly SMS 4.3.6
- Fixed message sending on O2.ie after O2 website updates.
- Added support for KwtSMS.com
- Fixed my-cool-sms and added caller id support.
- Fixed detection of errors if message sending fails.
- Updated Meteor.ie support to send messages up to 480
chars in a single message.
- Added warning if long messages (on O2.ie and Meteor.ie)
will cost more than one credit.
- Updated the phone book to allow 089 numbers.
- Fixed selection of English dictionary if no other is
- Updated default font to "Arial, plain, 11". This font
should support complicated languages like Arabic and
Chinese on all platforms.
- Added right-to-left text rendering for languages like
Jelly SMS 4.3.5
- Fixed Mac OS X Address Book compatibility with 10.5 (Leopard)
Jelly SMS 4.3.4
- Fixed bug where groups were not getting saved
- Improved number normalisation for Irish operators
- Improved logging for Mac OS users
Jelly SMS 4.3.3
- Fix for O2.ie site changes
Jelly SMS 4.3.2
- Added support for Mac OS X Address Book
- Minor bug fixes
Jelly SMS 4.3.1
- Bundled Mac OS X app all within the .app bundle
- Added message signature preference
- For Three.ie users, we automatically remove the signature they add
- Minor bug fixes for delivery reports window
- Extra login UI validation added
Jelly SMS 4.3.0
- Launch time has been reduced significantly
- Delivery Reports for O2.ie users
- Now launch browser URL's using the Desktop class
Jelly SMS 4.2.6
- Improved update checker
- Rebrand to Jelly SMS logos and icons
- Removed startup slash screen for faster start time
Jelly SMS 4.2.5
- Added phone book support for three.ie.
- Added connectivity checks for three.ie.
- Added the ability to hide the button toolbar.
- Reduced the minimum size of the GUI.
- Added preference to limit messages to a single text.
- Fixed Vodafone Ireland remaining message parse
- Fixed international SMS for Vodafone.ie users
- Added support for My-Cool-SMS.com
Jelly SMS 4.2.4
- Fixed Meteor login issues
Jelly SMS 4.2.3
- Addressed problem where updates were not installing for
some Windows users.
Jelly SMS 4.2.2
- Better robustness when writing sent messages
to the database.
Jelly SMS 4.2.1
- Added support for Three.ie
- Added preference to dock Jelly SMS in the system tray or not.
(Default on Mac OS X now is false)
- Fixed bug importing contacts from a Jelly SMS export file.
- Fixed bug decoding HTTP responses.
- Fixed launch issues on Mac OS X
(requires full manual download as fix is in the Mac .app file)
- Fixed bug downloading contacts from Meteor website.
Jelly SMS 4.2.0
- Updated Jelly SMS to use Java 1.6.
- Added Jelly SMS to the system tray/notification area.
- Added ability to ignore mis-spelled words or add them to
the dictionary from the spell check popup menu.
- Added ability to cancel messages while they are being
- Message history is now remembered from previous runs of
- Added drag and drop support when adding to groups
in the phone book window.
- Fixed bug where Jelly SMS could not be run using a HTTP
- Added new language dictionaries.
- Added image files to installation.
Jelly SMS 4.1.5
- Added Java version check. Jelly SMS must be run in the Sun
Java 6 Runtime Environment from now on.
Jelly SMS 4.1.4
- Fixed bug in automatic update.
Jelly SMS 4.1.3
- Reimplemented all HTTP communications code to achieve
- Added parsing of the customer's user name from Vodafone
- Fixed import of O2 contacts which have
apostrophes in the contact name.
- GMail import now works better when a contact
has multiple phone numbers.
- Removed Meteor statusbar tooltip as it was
- Added buttons to some Help dialogs to open
- Disabled automatic update for PowerMac users.
Jelly SMS 4.1.2
- Improved accessibility for the visually impaired.
Jelly SMS has been tested using the JAWS screen
NOTE: The Java Access Bridge must be
installed for this to work.
- Added new 'View' menu which lets users view contacts
in a sidebar (Full) view or in the classic way (simple).
A button has been added for this to the tool bar also.
- Added support for more VoIP websites.
- The O2 address book import has been fixed
- Voip account holders can now specify a phone number at
login to receive replies back to.
- Changed behaviour of the File> Change User item.
It will now totally log the user out.
- Improved import address book code to handle duplicates
- Fixed bug where + signs were showing in the user name
for O2 users instead of spaces (in Jelly SMS title bar).
- Updated the caret colour to match the foreground text
- Updated the Meteor account info that is shown in the
tooltip at the bottom left of the status bar.
- Fixed bug where failed logins were not being reported
for Meteor users.
- Jelly SMS can now be assigned to a Mac OS Leopard Space
Jelly SMS 4.1.1
- O2 users can now import huge address books from their O2
Address Book (> 12 contacts).
Jelly SMS 4.1.0
- Fixed Address Book import for O2 users.
Jelly SMS 4.0.9
- Fixed O2 to work with new site layout including ability
to send 1000 character texts in one go.
- Added better verification for sent messages for O2
users. A future update will do this for other operators.
- Sent messages will now appear on the O2 website as well
as in the Jelly SMS history menu.
- Added right click functionality to contacts in the phone
book which allows for adding contacts to new or existing
groups and delete/remove options.
- Fixed problem reporting remaining credits for O2 users.
- Mac users: fixed problem where Jelly SMS wasn't coming into
focus when using Jelly SMS in a different 'Space'.
- Added VoipCheap account support. This is in beta for us
so please report any problems to email@example.com
Jelly SMS 4.0.8
- Mac users will now have the toolbar on the top of the
screen giving the app a more native feel.
- Added 'Clear history...' function to the History menu.
- In the Phone Book you can now delete multiple contacts
- In the Phone Book you can now remove multiple contacts
from a group at once.
- When sending to a group, you will now not see the 'test'
dialog that previously was shown for each recipient.
- Fixed bug where history function was not functioning
correctly when sending to groups.
- Reverse history.
Jelly SMS 4.0.7
- Fixed contacts import from Meteor website.
- Fixed automatic update mechanism.
Jelly SMS 4.0.6
- Fixed message sending for Vodafone users.
Jelly SMS 4.0.5
- Fixed bug where sending a text to a manually entered
number caused Jelly SMS to lock up.
- Restored sending of messages to groups.
- Added ability to start Jelly SMS specifying the login details
on the command line. To invoke, use the following format
java -jar Jelly SMS.jar <Meteor|Vodafone|O2> <login>
Jelly SMS 4.0.4
- Disabled addition of new groups as the code required the
use of a Java 6 Virtual Machine.
- Fixed problem where texts sometimes wouldn't send.
- Added system information to the About Box.
Jelly SMS 4.0.3
- Added a phone book manager and a button to launch it
from the main screen. Multiple contacts can added to a
group by drag and drop or multi-selection.
- Redesigned Login window.
- Added ability to export and import contacts (great for
backing up your phone book).
- Contacts can be searched by typing their name.
- Updated message window and made background colours
configurable, just like the fonts are.
- Added message log showing message history since Jelly SMS
- Updated Jelly SMS to work with Meteor's latest website update
- Fixed bug where user could only enter a manual number up
to 10 digits long (needed for O2 users).
- Updated installer and "About" box images and fixed bug
where the installer crashed on certain Linux platforms.
- Temporarily removed broken "sendToGroups" functionality.
Jelly SMS 4.0.2
- Added auto-selection capability to the contacts dropdown
- Added ability to import contacts from:
* your mobile operators website
* GMail contacts
* Microsoft Outlook (Windows users only)
- Updated the main GUI to retrieve the remaining credits
for O2 users after they log in.
- Added ability to remove the background image from the
SMS text area.
Jelly SMS 4.0.1
- Fixed bug when the number of SMS(s) to be sent was not
being calculated correctly.
- Fixed bug where Meteor was sometimes falsely reporting
a failed login.
- Added facility to allow the user change the fonts used
by Jelly SMS. Feature can be accessed via Tools->Preferences
in the "Display" tab.
- Added sample logging properties file to distribution to
aid with debugging.
- Added option to have the contact automatically
unselected after a message is sent.
- Fixed bug where modifications made to the phone book
were not being reflected in the group chooser.
- Updated to work with Vodafone's revamped website.
Jelly SMS 4.0.0
- Jelly SMS will now automatically update and install new
- Updated connectivity checking and failure handling.
- Added progress information when sending messages.
- Fixed bug where the default spell checker was not being
enabled if it was not explicitly selected the
- Added ability to manually enter phone numbers.
- Added ability to undo and redo edits to messages.
- Resized buttons and enhanced the look and feel of the
- After the user successfully logs into Jelly SMS, we will show
the user's name in the title bar and the remaining
credits in the status bar.
- Enhanced "About" dialog and added privacy statement.
- Many bug fixes.
Jelly SMS 3.3.4
- Fixed bug where phone book and preferences dialog was
not opening on some platforms (e.g. Linux).
Jelly SMS 3.3.3
- Fixed bug where Meteor accounts were not sending texts
and not showing an error.
- Fixed bug where Vodafone accounts would not send second
part of multiple messages.
- Added ability to install and uninstall dictionaries.
- Enhanced connectivity check to detect and diagnose
1) Test Internet connectivity.
2) Test connection to operator website.
3) Test login to operator website.
- Added progress dialogs that inform what is happening
when update and connectivity checks are running.
- Moved Group Chooser to be accessed via a button on the
- Enhanced layout of Group Chooser dialog.
- Fixed bug where character count was set to zero if you
changed users with text already typed in the text area.
- Added ability to read this README file from "Help" menu.
Jelly SMS 3.3.2
- Added ability to invoke Jelly SMS from the command line:
* To launch the Jelly SMS GUI:
java -jar Jelly SMS.jar
* To print usage information:
java -jar Jelly SMS.jar help
* To clear preferences (WARNING: This will delete your
java -jar Jelly SMS.jar clearPrefs
* To send a text from the command line:
java -jar Jelly SMS.jar <Meteor | Vodafone | O2>
- Added spell checker. It can be enabled to check the text
as you type and/or just as the text is being sent. To
add new dictionaries download the required dictionary
(for free) from the OpenOffice wiki
and save it in the Jelly SMS/dictionaries folder. Note that
currently the dictionaries must be in a .zip archive. We
will provide an automated mechanism for installing new
dictionaries in the next release.
- Updated the installer to fix the issues people have had
trying to find the correct Java JVM to use. Jelly SMS should
now work with any Java Virtual Machine (JVM) version 5
- Provided an Apple Mac OSX DMG installer.
- Added buttons for controlling spell check functions.
- Added button to clear text area.
- Fixed bug that preventing O2 users from sending to
- Fixed problem when Meteor and Vodafone customers were
not being shown the number of texts remaining.
- Removed download of Meteor address book as it hadn't
been working since Meteor revamped their website. We
will look into restoring this functionality in a future
- Proxy settings can now be set via the preferences
dialog. And there is now also a button that allows you
to test the Internet access. A connectivity check also
happens in the background after the user logs in.
- Added ability to change the look and feel of Jelly SMS. This
lets you change the app from using the default Java
look and feel (called "metal") to look like an app
native to your Operating System. The number of different
look and feels available will depend on the Java Virtual
Machine (JVM) you are using.
- User preferences are no longer stored in config files.
This is important for Vista users, as a default
unmodified Vista installation will not allow a Java app
write to the hard drive. Preferences are now saved on a
per user basis, so each user can set Jelly SMS up in the way
that suits him/her.
- Added GUI window for editing the phone book.
- Added a tooltip to show the selected contact's phone
number when the mouse hovers the contacts drop down.
- We now correctly store dialog sizes (on a per user
basis) and will restore each dialog (and the main app)
in the same position it was in when it was closed.
- We now support proper logging. If you are experiencing
any problems, we can use this as a debugging aid.
Jelly SMS 3.3.1
- Fixed bugs sending texts for both meteor and O2
- Fixed the MAC OS X installer.
Jelly SMS 3.3.0
- Added native text ending support for O2 customers.
Jelly SMS 3.2.3
- Added native text ending support for Vodafone
- Updated installer.
Jelly SMS 3.2.2
- Added warning about native support for O2 and Vodafone
- Added installer.
- Added dialog to change user preferences.
- Added ability to change users.
- Updated images and backgrounds to the text area.
- Bug fixes.
Jelly SMS 3.2.1
- Fixed parsing of remaining texts after send after Meteor
updated their website. This was causing us to report
that the Meteor website was down.
- Added preference to disable the automatic update check
- Fixed bug to enable the send button after a re-login.
Jelly SMS 3.2.0
- Added Send Button
- Added Support for Section Dividers in Phone Book. If
name sorting is enabled, each individual section will
be sorted separately.
- Added Menubar to the GUI.
- Added Update Checker