party installer, its contents
have not been scanned.
FreeFileSync is a free Open Source software that helps you synchronize files and synchronize folders for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. It is designed to save your time setting up and running backup jobs while having nice visual feedback along the way.
Support FFS with a donation: http://www.freefilesync.org/donate.php
- Synchronize network shares and local disks
- Synchronize MTP devices (Android, iPhone, tablet, digital camera)
- Synchronize via SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol)
- Detect moved and renamed files and folders
- Show disk space usage with directory trees
- Copy locked files (Volume Shadow Copy Service)
- Detect conflicts and propagate deletions
- Binary file comparison
- Configure handling of Symbolic Links
- Automate sync as a batch job
- Process multiple folder pairs
- Comprehensive and detailed error reporting
- Copy NTFS security permissions
- Copy NTFS extended attributes (compressed, encrypted, sparse)
- Copy HFS+ extended attributes and ACLs
- Support long file paths with more than 260 characters
- Fail-safe file copy prevents data corruption
- Cross-platform: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X
- Expand environment variables like %UserProfile%
- Access variable drive letters by volume name (USB sticks)
- Native 64-bit support
- Manage versions of deleted/updated files
- Prevent disc space bottlenecks via optimal sync sequence
- Full Unicode support
- Highly optimized runtime performance
- Include/exclude files via filter
- FreeFileSync portable and local installation available
- Handle daylight saving time changes on FAT/FAT32
- Use macros %time%, %date%, et al. for recurring backups
- Case-sensitive synchronization
- Built-in locking serializes multiple users synchronizing the same network folder
- ... download and use for free!
FFS is an excellent $FREE backup tool. It aalso has one of the most sound ergonomically-designed GUIs that I have come across. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for good, reliable backup software. Why would you NOT want to use it? As a regular and committed user of FFS (FreeFileSync) since 2012, I wrote a very favourable mini-review of FFS at the DonationCoder.com Forum. That review is periodically updated. Only read it for the information it might give as an introduction to using FFS and/or especially for the comments from people on the forum, who are generally keen fans of using good and innovative software - such as FFS, for example. FFS is an excellent $FREE backup tool - BUT, the single biggest downside to the tool seems to be the Candyware approach that insists on installing PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). I fully understand that the Candyware is done out of necessity for funding and that it may also explain the high frequency of updates/changes released for FFS. However, Candyware is simply a huge PITA - it upsets the AV (Anti Virus) software and MBAM (Malwatebytes) - and rightly so. Goodness knows what CR#P it is trying to install. Unfortunately for FFS, Candyware seems to be the single biggest negative reason that many potential and existing users have mentioned to me for NOT using FFS and for instead using some other (and possibly inferior) backup software. I just thought I'd mention that, because it drives users away, which is not a good thing and the developers would presumably know that - so it is probably all done with deliberate method. So, FFS is an excellent $FREE backup tool - but the $cost? Well, you either pay for it with your time and inconvenience from the repeated PITA of Candyware installs and then (say) stop using it because you get sick of that, OR you stump up a $donation. I actually consider that having the forced option to donate and thereby getting a Candyware-less and also a PORTABLE ZIP installer that auto-updates is a relatively smart and sane way to go - so, all kudos for doing that However, no-one likes being coerced by having their arms twisted, and this will therefore probably antagonise some people (I know it does me) and may even put them off and who otherwise could be giving positive WOM (Word-Of-Mouth) advertising - rather than negative - about FFS - to their friends and relatives. This is reflected in some of the comments in the DonationCoder.com Forum.
Love this product. It works great and the fact it is "portable" means I don't have to annoy our IT Support to do and install. Great work, thank you very much. 5***** PS. just one suggestion, if I may, the ability to have a portable version as a stand alone download would be very convenient. This would save me having to run the install program to create a portable version on "NON-work" computers, then copy it to the my work computers.
Great program, unfortunately for MAC OS X, it's 10.7+ Still 5 stars!