Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. The interface is translated into many languages.
The version currently hosted here is 2.1.0 (March 2015). More recent versions than this are available from http://www.audacityteam.org/download/ .
Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). Programs like Audacity are also called open source software, because their source code is available for anyone to study or use. There are thousands of other free and open source programs, including the Firefox web browser, the LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice office suites and entire Linux-based operating systems such as Ubuntu
- Record live audio
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using optional libraries
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together
- Numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording
- And more! See the complete list of features: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features
This is an excellent recording platform. I have four CDs that I put together using this program & I love the way things come together. Most recently, I had a problem in recording with my new Win 8 computer. I was recording a simple guitar track & the sound cut out after a few seconds. I found the solutions in the FAQ forum, it had to do with a "noise suppression" options that was checked in my sound device. I unchecked it and now the recording sounds like it should. Thank you!
Excellent and free! Learned to use it very quickly!
Great app ! Fast and easy to use !
I have used this since high school. Still super simple and easy to use.