Menu

Zeeb Status

2014-07-16
2016-03-04
  • S. Jamison Wilde

So just an update on the status of Zeeb:
    Obviously it has just 'been working' for the most part for the last year, without any major changes or improvements. There are several issues that have prevented me from releasing a few minor updates, such as Google Code no longer being able to host the auto update files. Last I checked Sourceforge also couldn't support them, because they used mirrors, and the Adobe Air stuff didn't work properly to find the files. The code signing keys expired, and I missed the window to update them with some free open source ones, without causing headaches for auto update. Also relying on Adobe Air is becoming a liability, as Adobe doesn't support it on all platforms (linux) anymore, and Adobe's security flaws and Apple's stand have made Flash/Flex development 'a ghetto'.

Moving forward, my plan is to rewrite the app as an node-webkit based app, or something like SABNzbd that has a core web server and can do some filesystem stuff and that uses a browser for the interface. Under the covers, Flash/Flex is essentially javascript, so hopefully besides translating the UI, some of the other stuff won't be too tedious to do.

And it may let some of you have the ability to improve and tweak things in a more familiar environment as well!

• Jason Lachowsky

Jason Lachowsky - 2015-01-16

Thanks for your work!

• Jay Carey

Jay Carey - 2016-02-26

I've always loved your program/tool and for years I've used it almost daily to keep my archive VERY VERY VERY organised, but nowadays, it has become a real pain in the backside. I understand the technical issues you've come to encouter and I was hoping that there might be a little bit of extra news concerning a new version?

I see that the last update was a very long time ago, so i'm very fearful of the status of a newer version, but I still have faith left....

• S. Jamison Wilde

Yea, not much has happened with a new version in a while due to life and whatnot, but the old one still seems to be working with a few tweaks to the regular expressions as discussed in another recent thread. What exactly are the problems you are facing, as it might motivate me to address them, lol?

• Jay Carey

Jay Carey - 2016-02-27

Well - When I click a movie to be renamed - it takes around 45 seconds for your queries to return a result - and 50% of the time (after a result has been found) the app becomes unresponsive...

I'm running Windows 10 - the latest version of AIR - the latest version of you app - and a very fast broadband connection.

It's like IMDB (and the posters) are limiting calls to the site or something - it's pretty hard to explain in writing - if you like I could attempt to capture my screen and upload a video of my issues?

• S. Jamison Wilde

So I agree that something seems slow with theMovieDB.org's speed on posters lately, though not sure if that is something I can improve, and it is working fine for me at the moment. Also the poster quality seems terribly lacking, lots of ringing around titles, etc. It could be that the IMDB pages have just gotten much heavier and take longer to grep the html for all the parts we need. But for me it is only take 5 seconds or so to load a movie today, so it seems unlikely to be directly related to zeeb, unless IMDB has changed their page again and the content that potentially triggered a performance regression has gone away. Also, make sure you update the regular expressions posted in that other recent thread. They all get run whether you use them or not, so the out of date versions may also be affecting you.

Processing movie files across a network drive (versus local drive access) will always be MUCH slower. Unfortunately this is due to sort of naive implementations of directory handling I see a lot in nodejs, air, ruby, etc. If you want to check file size you end up with a 1+ Number of movies requests, instead of one relatively quick dir/ls that returns everything. The node-webkit version that isn't near being done, actually does a command line 'dir' on windows, 'ls' on linus/osx to speed things up for this reason. This doesn't sound like your main issue though.

• S. Jamison Wilde

I also am running a recent AIR on Windows 10 x64 on a laptop from 2009, though it was beefy for the time. Specifically AIR 20.0.0.260.

• Jay Carey

Jay Carey - 2016-03-04

AMAZING -- your tips (and I suspect in particular the RegEx) work! as you've mentioned I am now back to 5 seconds per movie as opposed to 1 minute!! Thank you very much for continued support!