Opportunity Imports & XRMS to XRMS import

Help
tufofi
2004-10-06
2013-04-26
  • tufofi

tufofi - 2004-10-06

2 little questions. ha ha

I have been trying to sley salesforce here at my company and have had better than expected results with your salesforce import template.

Any recommendations on importing existing opportunities into the system? (perfect nail for the salesforce coffin)

We sell on behalf of several clients to contacts in a single mass database.We would love to fully reveal our sales activities as a key selling feature.
    Is there a simple way to export filtered companies and their associated contacts & activites as a new XRMS database.
    It also feels like a good framework for an "offline" version for traveling & international reps.

Thanks again for the great product.

tufofi@gmail.com

• Brian Peterson

Brian Peterson - 2004-10-06

>> Any recommendations on importing existing opportunities into the system?

Write an import script that takes the relevant information. I'd love to add one to the XRMS core, and would be happy to guide you through how to do it.  Same thing goes for Activities.  XRMS has some infrastructure functions to parse well-formatted CSV files that are used by the Company/Contact import, these functinos and the existing new opportunity code should be sufficient to put together an import for opportunities.

>> We would love to fully reveal our sales activities as a key selling feature.

There are some pretty advanced activity reports already in XRMS, these should be adaptable to your needs.

>> Is there a simple way to export filtered companies and their associated contacts & activites as a new XRMS database.

You can look at the full Company/Contact Export under Administration and the more limited Exports as well, that export Companies and Contacts.  Filtering this from a search page wouldn't be too hard.

There is currently no Activities Export or Import functionaltiy. No one has written it yet.  Sounds like a useful feature in a certain set of cases.

> It also feels like a good framework for an "offline" version for traveling & international reps.

I suspect that 'offline' versions would be best accomplished via a set of syncronization scripts, which is not precisely the same as export/import.

I'm a little unclear by your querstions whether you intend to assist in the development of these features, were just looknig for information on whether the feature exists, or are looking for programming assistance in building the features for your use.  Please let us know what you need.

Regards,

- Brian

• tufofi

tufofi - 2004-10-13

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not a programmer or developer, I abandoned that field after realizing some people were better suited to that skill set than myself. But I am surrounded by them and PHP fans are all around. ha ha.

The reason for my cryptic questions is that I am the "Business Analyst" here and I am trying to craft an honorable debate to the evils of upper-management in an effort to understand were we would have to invest in developement if we turned to XRMS instead of one of the other evils..the SFA ASP.

My folks have concerns about losing historical opportunities and activities in salesforce. So I was just trying to gauge the steps to move the old data into XRMS. And to see if given that the template from salesforce worked like a dream ... I was checking to see if somebody had already gone the extra step.. possibly as a plugin ..or single experiment. Your responses were exactly what I needed to here. I just wanted to be certain I was informed before I started spinning tales in my next meeting.