This ticket covers localizing XOWA in your language.
If you'd like to translate XOWA messages to your language, you can do so in either of two ways:
(1) Using LibreOffice / OpenOffice (easier to review, but requires LibreOffice)
- Download the attached xowa_api.ods spreadsheet
- Open it in LibreOffice / CalcOffice
- You will get a warning about macros. There is one macro for replacing strings (see below). You can either enable macros, or keep them disabled.
- Check if a tab exists for your language code. This will have the same letters as the first part of your Wikipedia domain. For example, English Wikipedia is "en.wikipedia.org" and its language code is "en"
- If a tab doesn't exist, make a copy of the "en" tab.
- Overwrite the English word(s) with the translated word(s) from your language.
(2) Using a text editor (harder to review, but works with any text editor)
- Use the en.gfs in your XOWA package (/xowa/user/anonymous/lang/xowa/en.gfs)
- Open it up in a text editor like Notepad++ or JEdit
- Translate all word(s) after the first pipe
- For example, for the line "xowa-portal-exit|Exit" you'd translate "Exit" to your language
- If you need a special character, use the following escape codes (no quotes)
- For the pipe character ("|"), use "\u007C"
- For a new line ("\n"), use "\u000A"
When you're done you can either upload your file to this ticket, or send it to <gnosygnu at="" gmail.com=""> as an attachment.
Regarding the 5 different types of categories
- Name: The "Name" is a short term that will show up in either the menu or the HTML page
- Tip: The "Tip" is a longer term that will either show up as a tooltip (if available) or on Help:Options/Shortcuts
- Letter: The "Letter" is a single character that is used as a shortcut on the main menu
- Shortcut: The "Shortcut" is currently not supported. When it is supported, it will be used to provide a default shortcut for the language. For example, in English, "Ctrl + Q" is the shortcut for "Quit", but "Q" was selected because it is the first letter of the word "Quit". Other languages may have different conventions.
- Image: The "Image" is currently not supported except for English. It applies to the image that shows on the menus. It is intended to be used for rare situations wherein the default image may not be applicable in the user's language. For example, the "Font" images show the letter "A" which will not be relevant to non-Latin languages.
The remainder of this ticket has other comments related to previous translation releases. Feel free to read them to get some historical understanding, or add to the comment below.
REM ***** BASIC *****
Public Function ReplaceMacro(sText As String, sFind As String, sRepl As String) As String
If (Len(sText)) = 0 Then
ReplaceMacro = ""
Dim rv As String
rv = Replace(sText, sFind, sRepl)
ReplaceMacro = rv