Menu

XFree86 4.4.0 and OpenGl

Help
2006-11-15
2013-06-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

I am running the Apple-supplied XFree86 (version 4.4.0) on my G5 PowerPC, with OSX 10.4.8.  I use XFree86 as a terminal emulator so that I can interact with the various Linux and Sun servers that we have on our internal network.  When I try to run a particular simulation program (Ansoft's HFSS) on a Linux server, I get the message "Failed to initialize an OpenGL view.  Please verify that the proper OpenGL libraries are installed and availabe for use".

I have contacted our system administrator, and he insists, vehemently, that the problem is with my terminal emulator, and not with his Liunx server. And he may be right, because when I use the latest version of Reflections (a commercial terminal emulation program) on a PC, everything works fine.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

Puzzled

• Martin Costabel

Martin Costabel - 2006-11-15

I don't know how you are connecting to your server, but if it is via "ssh -X", then you should try "ssh -Y" instead.
      Makes a big difference.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Martin

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.  I was using telnet, but per your suggestion switched first to ssh -Y, and then to ssh -X.  In all cases I get the diagnostic "Failed to initialize an OpenGL view".