Latests CVS OS Requirements

2003-01-20
2004-03-01
  • Dave Taflin

Dave Taflin - 2003-01-20

I've compiled and installed XDarwin from CVS on a machine with OS X 10.1.5. It compiles and installs fine, but quits without explanation when I launch it. I cannot anywhere find what the specific OS requirements are (or will be for the next release). Anyone know?

• Patrik Montgomery

We plan to have a version that will run 10.1.x, and hopefully even one that will run on 10.0.x. The next version should be out by the end of February.

• Adrian

Adrian - 2003-01-21

Not sure what the problem is, since latest CVS (today, and at least the past week) works fine on my Quicksilver running 10.1.1 (and TiBook with 10.1.3)...

Can you provide crash logs?

Bye!

Adrian

• Dave Taflin

Dave Taflin - 2003-03-11

It appears to be quitting in an orderly fashion, not crashing--almost as if I had told it to quit, except that I hadn't. The best I've been able to determine is that it seemed to have something to do with twm. When I commented twm (and all but one xterm) out in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, it ran fine. I can manually launch twm after the xterm appears. So I don't know if twm is really causing the problem, or if there is some other odd bug that my "fix" just manages to avoid.

In any event, our program's OpenGL drawing area is not being drawn at all, so this is still a bust for us.

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2003-03-12

>It appears to be quitting in an orderly fashion, not crashing--almost as if I had told it to quit, except that I hadn't.

If you have crash logging turned on in the Console, check to make sure you don't have a bunch of xterm crashes building up. If the final xterm crashes, XDarwin will exit cleanly because the main X client has quit. I have observed this behavior erratically on 10.1.x and am trying to track it down.

>In any event, our program's OpenGL drawing area is not being drawn at all, so this is still a bust for us.                       

This is probably because of some incompatibility or problem with the new hardware accelerated OpenGL using Apple's OpenGL framework. You can always revert to using Mesa by typing:

defaults write org.xfree86.XDarwin "UseAGLforGLX" '0'

Then after you restart XDarwin, it will use Mesa for GLX.

• Manabendra Ray

Manabendra Ray - 2004-02-28

Hardware accelerated OpenGl does not work in Wallstreet (ATI Rage LT pro graphic chips) and MacOSX.  Drivers for some of the other older ATI chips were supported in MacOSX 10.2 or later. Can there be any connection between this and Newer version of XFree86. My Wallstreet+ MacOSX 10.1.5+ XFree86 4.2 ran well but since 4.3 I am having similar problem described by Dave.

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2004-03-01

>Can there be any connection between this and Newer version of XFree86.

XFree86 4.3 and newer will try to use Mac OS X's native OpenGL frameworks for GLX by default. If there is a problem with the underlying driver support this could conceivably cause a problem. On the other hand, there are several issues I have uncovered recently with Mac OS X 10.1 and XFree86. Let me know if reverting to Mesa rendering as described in my message below on this thread still causes you to crash.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks