Menu

Warning: locale not supported by C library ,

2001-06-26
2001-09-15
  • Chuck Bernard

Chuck Bernard - 2001-06-26

I've just finishing installing XFree86 4.1.0 and it starts and works great except now when I start some of the applications  (xterm) it gives a warning message

Warning: locale not supported by C library , locale unchanged

Other applications won't start and say:

dyld: mwm Undefined symbols:
    __Xsetlocale

---------

I'm sure that both are related but I'm not sure how to fix the problem or what the problem is exactly.  Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks,

//Chuck

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2001-09-13

I'm having similar problems when I try to build Grace (aka Xmgr).  I got a reply from the Grace mailing list saying:

Well, something wrong is with your X11 lib. _Xsetlocale should be defined there.
      Here's on Linux:

# nm /usr/X11/lib/libX11.a |grep Xsetlocale|grep T
      00000000 T _Xsetlocale

Seems the X locale stuff was misconfigured (e.g. the X libraries were compiled
      with X_LOCALE undefined and somewhere in the includes it *is* defined or wise
      verse). I suggest you ask the Mac OS X Xfree porters - and let us know the
      results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
      Mike

• Greg Parker

Greg Parker - 2001-09-15

[hmm, I thought I replied to this already]

XDarwin does not have Xsetlocale. Darwin already has setlocale(), so Xsetlocale is not needed. Neither the server nor the libraries nor the headers use X_LOCALE, as far as I can tell.

However: it looks like Darwin's setlocale() is buggy, or simply doesn't live up to Xt's expectation. If you have the XDarwin source, try adding -DX_LOCALE to the StandardDefines line in xc/config/cf/darwin.cf and rebuilding everything. I'll try this myself when I have a couple hours to let it recompile.