xfree86 and /etc/fonts/fonts.conf

2004-04-13
2004-04-13
  • Martin Costabel

Martin Costabel - 2004-04-13

On Mac OSX 10.3, the files /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and /etc/fonts/fonts.dtd that are part of the fontconfig system, are installed by the system package BSD.pkg. Xfree86 has these files, too, and installs them. I think this should be stopped. Xfree86 should not install anything outside of /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11.

For the Fink xfree86 package, this is a serious problem: If you remove it, it removes these two files, and Apple's X11 does not install them, so if you run Apple's X11 afterwards, fontconfig does not work any more.

• Torrey T. Lyons

Torrey T. Lyons - 2004-04-13

> On Mac OSX 10.3, the files /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and /etc/fonts/fonts.dtd that are part of the fontconfig system, are installed by the system package BSD.pkg.

This is a bug. Mac OS X and its BSD core have nothing to do with /etc/fonts or fontconfig. I was not aware Apple was doing this. It was probably an oversight and should be filed as a bug with them.

Whoever installs fontconfig should install the appropriate configuration files for it in /etc/fonts. Since XFree86 installs fontconfig and depends on it, the stuff in /etc/fonts should be part of X11 installs.

> Xfree86 has these files, too, and installs them. I think this should be stopped. Xfree86 should not install anything outside of /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11.

Ah, but /etc/fonts is part of the XFree86 base install on every platform now. It is a critical dependency which is why XFree86 needs to make sure the proper config files are in place.

The question is how to work around Apple's installer bug. Having XFree86 not install /etc/fonts will cause more problems then it will solve. On Jaguar, /etc/fonts will not exist and XFree86 will die horribly. On a future version of Mac OS X /etc/fonts also may not be present as part of the base install. Future versions of XFree86 may use newer versions of fontconfig, which would benefit from having newer configuration files in /etc/fonts.

> For the Fink xfree86 package, this is a serious problem: If you remove it, it removes these two files, and Apple's X11 does not install them, so if you run Apple's X11 afterwards, fontconfig does not work any more.

I would think the preferred work around to this bug is to have Fink not remove stuff in /etc/fonts. Its a hack, but its probably the least likely to cause problems.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks