Menu

Faxcover page support

2016-01-12
2016-04-12
  • Alexander Reil

Alexander Reil - 2016-01-12

Hi Lorenzo,

have a healthy and successful 2016.

Under "feature request" i saw that faxcover support is planned for the next version.

I would like to encorage you to please implement this feature. Your client for hylafax is imho the best around and the most future-proof one. Including faxcover support would be one more unique feature to complete all the benefits hylafax offers.

Hylafax ist still a very good solution for our paperless (and therefore) faxless offices in this digital world ;-))

As faxcover support is crucial for my project to implement a fax solution in our government, could you mention when this feature might be available? Of course you can count on me as a beta tester ;-)

Thank you very much for your effort on this software. It is very appreciated.

Best regards

Alexander

• Timmy

Timmy - 2016-04-12

You have to Pay $ if you want new features ;)

• Lorenzo Monti

Lorenzo Monti - 2016-04-12

LOL. You may also learn C++, purchase an IDE from Embarcadero that's worth $3K or so, then spend over two months writing open source software.
        BTW do you know where have those money gone? https://www.gofundme.com/mujhmrng

• Lorenzo Monti

Lorenzo Monti - 2016-01-15

Hi Alexander,
    thank you for your appreciation. I wish you a stunning 2016, too.
    I have suspended development on this project. I receive many requests, no help at all (despite the project being open-sourced) and very scarce donations (less than $50 in two years). I can't afford development anymore if users do not contribute sufficiently.
    Best regards
    - Lorenzo -

• Alexander Reil

Alexander Reil - 2016-01-15

Hi Lorenzo,

I understand your thoughts very well. Unfortunately most people have a wrong idea of open source. They think "open source" = "no money to pay". They don't realize, that they DO pay for their closed software apps - with their data being stored and analyzed ...but they just don't care. They are all sheeps ;-))

To make a first concrete step to maybe change your mind, let me suggest the following:

• I talk to my boss for spending money on faxcover support. This is not that easy because we are not a commercial company, but a municipal authority. Our law environment is not very usable for supporting open source software. But I will give it a try.

• Let me know, if I can support your work regarding translation (English/german), testing in our environment with detailed reports if things are working or not, documentation, etc. . My programming skills are poor, but maybe there are some other things I can do for your project.

I really think it would be a big loss, if your project would stop...

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards

Alexander

• Lorenzo Monti

Lorenzo Monti - 2016-01-16

Ok so, let's draw the big picture.
    Just to see how terrible is the beast.
    What do you think "cover page support" should look like?
    What would you expect from such a feature?

• Alexander Reil

Alexander Reil - 2016-01-18
      Post awaiting moderation.
  • Alexander Reil

Alexander Reil - 2016-01-19

Hi Lorenzo,

on server side, one can have a faxcover template file. This is a postscript file with placeholders filled in by the “faxcover” program. “faxcover” is invoked by “sendfax”. The possible placeholders are explained in http://www.hylafax.org/man/4.4.6/faxcover.1.html.

At client side there should be:

• A check box “Use faxcover”
    • If checked, unghost the possible placehoders to fill in what the user want to:
    • To
    • From
    • Comment
    • Etc.

I think the “Use faxcover” check box toggles the “-n” parameter of the “sendfax” binary. If faxcover is checked, the client should deliver the contents of the inputs above to the corresponding parameters of sendfax (http://www.hylafax.org/man/4.1.2/sendfax.1.html) like:
    - -U / the sender’s voice number
    - -W / the sender’s fax number
    - -X / the sender’s company name
    - Etc.

As a bonus it would be nice, to have some values stored at user’s profile, like company, sender's fax-number, sender's voice number, etc…. So the user won’t need to type this things again and again …

I think, this would be a big improvement.

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Alexander