Menu

wlassistant and insufficient permissions...

Help
cuajon
2005-10-11
2013-04-17
  • cuajon

cuajon - 2005-10-11

... for Wireless assistant to function properly as a user but I have given the wlassistant full -rwxrwxrwx by running chmod a+x on the executable located in /usr/local/kde/bin.
    So Pawel Nawrocki, what am I missing? It does work when logged in as root but we don't want that.

• cuajon

cuajon - 2005-10-11

By the way, I do have a capture of the pop-up if you need to see.

• Pawel Nawrocki

Pawel Nawrocki - 2005-10-11

Hi!
      Since the rewrite for version 0.5.0 wlassistant is run using sudo, which grants it all the necessary permissions. There is a brief example of how to set it up on kde-apps page for Wireless Assistant. If you need further help - feel free to write a follow up to this message and I will explain that in detail.
      Cheers,
      Pawel.

• cuajon

cuajon - 2005-10-11

If you are referring to this, my bad.

* Example sudo config: If you want to create a e.g. 'wifi' group which users should be allowed to use wlassistant, add the following line to your /etc/sudoers:
      %wifi ALL=NOPASSWD: your_kde_dir/bin/wlassistant

I will try it once I get home.

Thanks for the quick response.

• cuajon

cuajon - 2005-10-11

Pawel,

Here is my sudoer file.

##############################################################

# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
      #
      # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
      #

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults

Defaults        !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn

# User privilege specification
      root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
      %admin  ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the wifi group may run /usr/local/kde/bin/wlassistant
      %wifi ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/kde/bin/wlassistant

##############################################################

It stil doesn work. What am I doing wrong?

• Pawel Nawrocki

Pawel Nawrocki - 2005-10-12

Hi.
        FIrst: make sure a group 'wifi' exists and the user you are logged in as is part of that group. (or you can change 'wifi' to some other group that you're part of). If this is correct, run 'sudo wlassistant' from the console and post the error message here, so I can be of further help.
        Cheers,
        Pawel

• cuajon

cuajon - 2005-10-12

Still no luck although I mader account the wifi group and added my user to it. This is what I get when I sudo wlassistant:

root@MiCasa:/usr/local/kde/bin# ls
      wlassistant
      root@MiCasa:/usr/local/kde/bin# sudo wlassistant
      sudo: wlassistant: command not found
      root@MiCasa:/usr/local/kde/bin#

I ran this sudo wlassistant as root.

Just want you to know that I can bring thewlassistant GUI up from the launch->internet->wlassistant menu. I can bring it up as root and as user but user is the one that complains about insufficient permissions.

• Pawel Nawrocki

Pawel Nawrocki - 2005-10-18

Hi! Sorry it took so long.
        If you 'su' to become root (it seems like that's what you did), then in most cases PATH is not correctly set and binaries in KDE's bin directory are not found. This is normal. Second: sudo is meant to be run as USER, not as root. It grants a programme superuser permissions and therefore is not needed when ran by root.
        So run 'sudo wlassistant' (or 'sudo /usr/local/kde/bin/wlassistant' if needed) as non-root. If it doesn't work - please send  the output. If it works - also let me know.

Lastly, as a quick fix, you may change the menu entry for wlassistant to execute 'kdesu wlassistant' instead of 'sudo wlassistant'. This will make you enter root password when executing, though.
        Let me know how did it go.

• springshades

springshades - 2005-10-27

As a follow up to this question. Would you happen to know whether it is possible to make wlassistant work by relaxing the permissions to dhcpd, ifconfig, iwlist, and iwconfig to run them as a normal user? I was able to make older versions of wlassistant work as any user by running chmod 755 on these four commands. When I tried updating to a newer version of wlassistant it didn't seem to work anymore, so I've been running an older version ever since. I'd rather not put every user in another group just to make one application work.

• Pawel Nawrocki

Pawel Nawrocki - 2005-10-28

Hi.
        On your configuration changing the permissions of the executables you mentioned is indeed sufficient. However, that seems NOT to be the case with dhclient (or at least I couldn't get it to work that way). Therefore I chose to use sudo to make all the users happy (or equally unhappy, since this is not a perfect solution).
        There's one thing I'd like to share though - you don't have to put every user in another group to make just wlassistant work. You can setup sudo to use ANY group, so you can setup it to use the group 'users', which all users should be in anyway.
        This would be the following line in /etc/sudoers:
        %users ALL=NOPASSWD: your_kde_dir/bin/wlassistant
        Let me know it that helped.