Menu

More than 20 authors

2013-03-19
2013-03-19
  • Stephan Matthiesen

Hi, I got a bit of a problem with this paper which has 35 authors:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.828/abstract

It seems that the edit dialogue doesn't allow me to add more than 20 authors. I've added all up to Haimberger (author 20) but when I then click on "add author" I get the error below.

The other thing is that the interface gets extremely slow with so many authors, so I'm not sure if it is a good idea to raise the limit (or perhaps it's just a memory problem?)

I'm not sure about the best way to handle that. Perhaps there could be an alternative way to update a record, perhaps by re-importing a bibtex file that overrides existing records (I don't mean importing a duplicate because then you have a duplicate and all attachments and notes etc. are not attached to the new import).

Here is the message:

HTTP status: 200. JSON.parse: unexpected character ERROR. PHP says:

Notice: Undefined index: ajaxReturn in [home directory]/wikindx/core/modules/resource/RESOURCEFORMAJAX.php on line 141
    {"innerHTML":"<div id=\"Creator1_Inner\">\n&nbsp;\n<\/div>\n"}

Cheers
    Stephan

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2013-03-19

Interesting. I've just added 30 authors in the interface (or at least the text boxes for them) before giving up out of boredom so it's probably not the code. Perhaps it is as you say a memory issue and that probably is the reason for the increasing slowness. I have 1226 creators in my database which will be made available in each creator select box.

I'm not sure how to deal with it but will have a think.

Mark

• Stephan Matthiesen

Hi Mark,

I have 11125 creators...

It could well be the selection box that makes it so slow to load. I also find that it's not very efficient to try to select authors out of such a long list, so I find that I often just type the name again.

Perhaps you could just keep the author text fields, and make the selector a popup that's only called when needed and then fills in the text fields? When you edit an existing resource, the author text fields would then alreadz contain the existing authors.

Cheers
    Stephan

Last edit: Stephan Matthiesen 2013-03-19
  • Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2013-03-19

I'll have a look into it.