Menu

Update v3.8 to v4.1 breaks with error "Table 'wikindx.wkx_wkx_bibtex_string' doesn't exist"

Help
Geoemyda
2013-03-01
2013-03-02
  • Geoemyda

Geoemyda - 2013-03-01

I have successfully update my first wikindx-database. I had to copy my second database to my local xampp installation on windows 7, because it is quite large and my webhoster does not allow to increase the memory.

The update process broke during step 15 with the following message:

Warning: mysqli_fetch_fields() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in XXX\wikindx4\core\startup\UPDATEDATABASE.php on line 817

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in XXX\wikindx4\core\startup\UPDATEDATABASE.php on line 818

Warning: mysqli_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in XXX\wikindx4\core\startup\UPDATEDATABASE.php on line 823

Unable to read database.
    SELECT * FROM WKX_wkx_bibtex_string

--> (Table 'wikindx.wkx_wkx_bibtex_string' doesn't exist)

What should I do?

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2013-03-02

Hi Geoemyda,

Which version of wikindx are you using? It looks like v4.1.9 -- do you have SVN and can you use the latest SVN version (v4.2.0)? There is a warning not to use it on production servers but it's been out for a week now with no significant errors reported.

Regards,

Mark

• Geoemyda

Geoemyda - 2013-03-02

Hello Mark,

I hope I did everything correctly. I pointed my SVG to svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/wikindx/code/trunk, and copied all files in the "code" folder.

Now, the update process stops again in step 15 with the following, very similar (but shorter) error:

Unable to read database.
    SELECT * FROM WKX_wkx_bibtex_string

--> (Table 'wikindx.wkx_wkx_bibtex_string' doesn't exist)

The double "wkx_wkx_" looks strange to me.

Regards, Geoemyda

• Mark Grimshaw

Hi Geoemyda,

1. Is your original database a v3.8.2 database? If not, you must first go through the v3.8.2 wikindx upgrade.
    2. After the initial upgrade failure, did you delete all database tables, re-import the v3.8.2 database then run the v4.1.x upgrade?

Yes, 'wikindx.wkx_wkx_bibtex_string' looks strange. But let's clarify the above first.

If, after 1 & 2 above it still doesn't work, email the 3.8.2 dump to me and I'll have a look at it (I will need superadmin username/password so I suggest you use 3.8.2 to temporarily change these and then do the dump to email to me).

Regards,

Mark

• Geoemyda

Geoemyda - 2013-03-02

1: Yes, I was using 3.8.2 before. I have written about this database several times here, it was sometimes a bit problematic, because it is quite large (wkx_resources has 12,569 entries). The zipped-backup is 3,85 MB large.

2: Yes, I dropped the whole mysql-databse and re-imported the original v.3.8.2 packup.

The database does not contain many exotic entries and has no attachements. I think I will not loose information, if I install the 3.8.2 version again and manage to get a bibtex or endnote export and import this into a newly installed 4.x. But I am not sure, if wikindx 3.8 crashes, when I try to export this large number of database entries into xml or bibtex.

What do you suggest?

• Mark Grimshaw

There's a fair bit you might lose going via bibtex etc. (categories, timestamps etc.) so much better to keep the MySQL.

Much better to email the dump to me and I can convert it (and also see if I can find what the problem is which might help debugging).

My email can be found on the front page here:
    http://www.wikindx.com/gameaudio/wikindx4/index.php

Regards,

Mark