Menu

Importing custom fields

Help
2016-01-06
2016-01-09
  • Roger Appleby

Roger Appleby - 2016-01-06

Hi Mark,
    I am trying to import the index of some old reports into Wikindx 4 but I am having difficulty importing the full description. I have two fileds which I am having troube with National Archive Number (RP) and In File (U1) (local copy available). I am unsure of the strategy I should use to import them to Wikindx and have the following questions:

1. Can I import RIS directly? I saw in the forum there was some work on this a while back.
    2. If I use Custom fields in Endnote for National Archive Number and In File can I import these via the xml import? I saw an old post that indicated that that this might be possible.
    3. If I use fields in Endnote Xml that I know I can import into Wikindx via xml i.e. DOI, second title, electronic resource number can I then move this data to custom fields in Wikindx with a MYSQL query without causing damage to the database?

Some example files are given below and the wikindx4 URL is <www.reports.mraths.org.uk>

Any help much appreciated

Roger

PS. The charity was asking how many copies of Wikindx are in use? Do you know how many downloads there have been/

The index is currently in word but is well structured and I have copies of it in Excel, Endnote and Reference Manager. Here is a RIS file as an example:
    TY - RPRT
    T1 - Use of SCR 584 in 2nd Tactical Air Force
    A1 - Gray,R.E.
    VL - TRE Group Memo G1/181/REG
    Y1 - 1945/02/08
    RP - IN FILE
    U1 - AVIA 26/1132
    ER -

I can get everything to import into Wikindxby by passing it through Endnote to produce the following xml.
    -<xml> -<records> -<record> <database path="C:\\Users\\Roger\\Documents\\History Club\\Reports\\MRATHS-Saved.enl" name="MRATHS-Saved.enl">MRATHS-Saved.enl</database> <source-app name="EndNote" version="17.4">EndNote</source-app> <rec-number>419</rec-number> -<foreign-keys> <key db-id="s50wfeefmdd2t2exre4x25au0x9psxfzzz0v" app="EN">419</key> </foreign-keys> <ref-type name="Report">27</ref-type> -<contributors> -<authors> -<author> <style size="100%" font="default" face="normal">Gray, R. E.</style> </author> </authors> </contributors> -<titles> - </titles> -<edition> <style size="100%" font="default" face="normal">IN FILE</style> </edition> -<dates> -<pub-dates> -<date> <style size="100%" font="default" face="normal">1945/02/08</style> </date> </pub-dates> </dates> -<isbn> <style size="100%" font="default" face="normal">TRE Group Memo G1/181/REG</style> </isbn> <urls/> -<electronic-resource-num> <style size="100%" font="default" face="normal">AVIA 26/1132</style> </electronic-resource-num> </record> </records> </xml>

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2016-01-06

Hi Roger,

Regarding downloads, you can look here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/wikindx/files/
    although wikindx can also be downloaded from loads of other places too.

I have not done any work on importing from RIS -- my recent work has been on v5.

I recommend strategy 2 above. If I remember correctly, if you have created custom fields, upon importing Endnote you can map unknown endnote fields to wikindx fields including the custom fields. You can always try and, if it doesn't work, undo it by giving the import a tag (which then allows you to delete all resources under that tag if things go wrong).

Mark

• Roger Appleby

Roger Appleby - 2016-01-06

Hi Mark,
    Been testing the Custom Field but with no success. I setup a custom1 field which I can see in the xml file but when I import into Wikindx it is just ignored. No sign of any mapping. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Still curious about the number of downloads?

Here is the xml:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?><xml><records><record><database name="MRATHS.enl" path="C:\\Users\\Roger\\Documents\\History Club\\Reports\\MRATHS.enl">MRATHS.enl</database><source-app name="EndNote" version="17.4">EndNote</source-app><rec-number>1059</rec-number><foreign-keys><key app="EN" db-id="s50wfeefmdd2t2exre4x25au0x9psxfzzz0v">1059</key></foreign-keys><ref-type name="Report">27</ref-type><contributors><authors><author><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Grayers, R. E.</style></author></authors><tertiary-authors><author><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">TRE MoD</style></author></tertiary-authors></contributors><titles><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Test1 Blind bombing trials with the SCR 584 modified for close air support</style><secondary-title><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">IN FILE SERIES TITLE</style></secondary-title></titles><edition><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">IN FILE</style></edition><dates><year><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">1944</style></year></dates><pub-location><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Malvern</style></pub-location><publisher><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">TRE</style></publisher><isbn><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">TRE Group Memo G1/167/REG</style></isbn><urls></urls><custom1><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">AVIA 26/1097 </style></custom1></record></records></xml>

Regards

Roger

• Roger Appleby

Roger Appleby - 2016-01-07

Hi Mark,
    I spent some time today testing the Bibtex format as a way of solving this problem and sure enough I do get a mapping of the custom field and that all works really nicely. However I do not seem to be able to import the full date in Bibtex. I am not really familiar with it and it maybe that I have the format wrong. I have tried several variants but with no success. Is there a Bibtex date format that Wikindx will accept and transfer the day and month as well as the year? Year is being transferred fine.

I guess one way to proceed would be to import the date as a custom field also. This will give me a quick fix but is not ideal.

One example of my Bibtex file is shown below:

@techreport{
    author = {Grayings, R. E.},
    title = {Test3 Blind bombing trials with the SCR 584 modified for close air support},
    publisher = {TRE},
    number = {TRE Group Memo G1/167/REG},
    year = 1944,
    month = {March 14},
    type = {Report},
    custom1= {AVIA 26/1097}
    }

Regards

Roger

PS I can confirm that map does not appear for an Endnote xml import.

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2016-01-08

Hi Roger,

If you can be patient for a couple of days I will have the endnote solution for you. In the meantime, place the attached file in core/modules/import/ to import bibtex with the date.

NB -- the month field format for bibtex should be something like:
    month={4~} # aug,

Mark

• Roger Appleby

Roger Appleby - 2016-01-08

Hi Mark,
    Sorry for being impatient I realise these things take time to sort out. I was just making sure I had a full and accurate picture of the situation for you as there seemed to be ambiguity about the existance of the map. I have tested the Bibtex option and it works fine which is excellent. This gives me one working solution. I will now wait for the Endnote update and then compare each method from end to end and see which will be the most efficient. I have to import something like 3000 refs so it needs to be thought through.

Thanks again for your excellent support.

Does this help with specifying version 5? If so and you need some testing on that maybe I can help out?

Regards

Roger

• Mark Grimshaw

Hi Roger,

Part of my difficulty is that I'm writing v5 while maintaining v4 but fixing v4 does help with v5. Testing v5 when that is ready (a month or two I hope) would be a great help. I'll post something in the news section when v5 is ready for testing.

Mark

• Mark Grimshaw

One thing that would help is to email me your Endnote file of c.3000 records as that would help me test it all works on a file that large.

Mark

• Roger Appleby

Roger Appleby - 2016-01-09

Hi Mark,
      It will take a while to generate this but once I am happy I have it right all the way through from word doc-.Excel->RIS->Endnote->Wikindx. I will make a start. I can generate large numbers in both Endnote and Bibtex if needed.
      Regards

Roger

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2016-01-09

Thanks Roger,

It's Endnote format I'm interested in as I don't have Endnote myself but need the file to be able to run tests.

Mark

• Roger Appleby

Mark,
          No problem I can work this up for you as I build the refernce set. It makes good sense in the short term to keep a reference set in Endnote. I will sned you my email so that you can contact me directly when you need teh file.
          Regards
          Roger

• Mark Grimshaw

Right, can you try these files for endnote import and mapping to custom fields:

core/importexport/IMPORT.php
    plugins/importexportbib/ENDNOTE.php
    plugins/importexportbib/ENDNOTEMAP.php
    plugins/importexportbib/ENDNOTEIMPORT.php
    plugins/importexportbib/ENDNOTEPARSEXML.php
    plugins/importexportbib/importexpertbibMessages_en.php

Last edit: Mark Grimshaw 2016-01-08
  • Roger Appleby

Hi Mark,
    Just tested this with a single xml reference which is given below. The map appears corrrectly but there is an "invalidField 3" error. I can select the fields to map Ok but then when I submit the reference does not import. I checked that I have updated all the files as per your post and I believe they are correct.

Regards

Roger

Xml

<xml><records><record><database name="MRATHS.enl" path="C:\Users\Roger\Documents\History Club\Reports\MRATHS.enl">MRATHS.enl</database><source-app name="EndNote" version="17.4">EndNote</source-app><rec-number>1507</rec-number><foreign-keys><key app="EN" db-id="s50wfeefmdd2t2exre4x25au0x9psxfzzz0v">1507</key></foreign-keys><ref-type name="Report">27</ref-type><contributors><authors><author><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Harris, K. E.</style></author></authors></contributors><titles><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">Blind approach and instrument landing: summary of systems and proposed presentations</style></titles><dates><year><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">1943</style></year><pub-dates><date><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">1943/07/14</style></date></pub-dates></dates><isbn><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">TRE Group Memo G1/130/KEH</style></isbn><work-type><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">TRE Group Reports and Memos</style></work-type><urls></urls><custom1><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">AVIA 26/1064</style></custom1><custom2><style face="normal" font="default" size="100%">IN FILE</style></custom2></record></records></xml>

• Mark Grimshaw

Hi Roger,

It imported fine for me apart from complaining with a PHP warning (because I have error reporting on) that there was no title field.

I think I may have run into the problem I mentioned earlier of developing v5 while trying to maintain v4 and applying amendments there to v5. i.e. above, I may not have sent all files I changed.

Try these:
    languages/en/MESSAGES.php
    languages/en/ERRORS.php
    core/modules/import/IMPORTBIBTEX.php
    plugins/importexportbib/index.php

Last edit: Mark Grimshaw 2016-01-09
  • Roger Appleby

Hi Mark,
    That seems to work fine with that file now. I can see that:

ERRORS.php
    MESSAGES.php
    index.php

are all different sizes whilst

IMPORTBIBTEX.php

remained the same. So I guess there were some differences

I will do some more testing later with larger files.

Thanks again

Roger

• Roger Appleby

Hi Mark,
    Just tested with 124 refs and all seems well! I will press on improting now and build the Endnote Library.
    Regards

Roger

• Mark Grimshaw

Great to hear Roger,

Mark