Please send me a fix for Bug #636, otherwise my uni will shut down my server

Help
Joachim
2024-01-21
2024-01-22
  • Joachim

Joachim - 2024-01-21

Hi Mark and Stéphane,

help, my uni is threatening to shut down my server if I won't fix the SQL inject bug I reported as #636. Could you please send me a fix for v6.7.2?

Best
    Joachim

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2024-01-21

Hi Joachim,

Sorry about this. Place the attached file in core/lists/.

I cannot be 100% sure that it works without problems (it handles session memory for lists, searching, etc.) but I have tested it on a 6.7.2 server and run various tests without problem. I believe it is the file that fixes the #636 bug.

Regards,

Mark

• Joachim

Joachim - 2024-01-22

Thank you, Mark, looks good so far!

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2024-01-22

Great to hear! We did promise ourselves that we would be quicker to make releases but one thing leads to another and we're now about 6 months on since the last release. Your post is a reminder to keep to the straight and narrow!

Mark

• Stéphane Aulery

Hi Mark,

With the planned developments I fear the releases will take longer than 3-6 months even with good will. There are some features that are just too big or you really need to think about incremental development that breaks the features into chunks.

We follow Trunk Bases Developement. To answer the problem of the day there is the Branch for release technique, which we have not yet implemented.

For us this consists of reserving the increment of the number Z of the version number X.Y.Z and reorganizing the repository to use branches.

The branches would be a way to apply error and security corrections to the a previous release, not a way to develop, to avoid the problems we had before.

There is still a difficulty because the release programs depend on the code of WIKINDX, the version of PHP, ... I cannot go back beyond 6.5.0 for the generation of the manual.

So we need to define a release policy. For example, commit to patching the last N releases, including security fixes or not. The more you add, the heavier it is.

The structure of the repository would become (there is still a problem of interdependence between the release programs and the current WIKINDX code):

• trunk
              • extras
              • release
              • test
              • third_party
              • tools
              • wikindx
              • website
            • X1.Y1
              • extras
              • release
              • test
              • third_party
              • tools
              • wikindx
              • website
            • X2.Y2
              • extras
              • release
              • test
              • third_party
              • tools
              • wikindx
              • website

Regards,

• Mark Grimshaw

I haven't a clue about all this Stéphane so I am happy to take your advice. I was thinking this morning about branches as a means to separate security fixes and similar and large-scale feature development.

But perhaps a discussion of this in another thread? So we can at least find it again.

Mark

• Stéphane Aulery

Ok, I moved the discussion to [327c9c8e10].

Related

Discussion: 327c9c8e10

• Mark Grimshaw

Noted . . .

• Joachim

Joachim - 2024-01-22

Oops, I begin to regret to have started this discussion. I'm happy with the patch, no need to hasten or to complicate the development process! Take your time!

• Mark Grimshaw

No worries Joachim . . . it's a discussion Stéphane and I have been having for some time and are actually in agreement on. The problem is we either underestimate how long something will take or we (i.e., me) succumb to the temptation to do just one more improvement. . . . So, your plea was a useful reminder to be strict with ourselves. . . .