Menu

Microsoft Word Add-in

Help
2021-02-25
2021-02-25
  • Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2021-02-25

We have recently (February 2021) developed an add-in for WIKINDX on Microsoft Word (and development is taking place on similar add-ins/extensions for Google Docs and LibreOffice).

The add-in allows you to search for and import references and citations (quotations/paraphrases) from one or more wikindices and to then 'finalize' the document. This appends a bibliography ordered as required and formats the bibliography and in-text citations to the chosen style. Finalization can take place as often as you want with new orders and citation formats applied each time. This is a great time-saver! Some screenshots of the add-in in action are shown here.

It takes a looooong time to get stuff approved by Microsoft for inclusion on their add-in site and there are a lot of hoops to jump through. In the meantime, there is still a fair bit of testing to do especially regarding how the add-in is imported to Word. Right now, it only works in the development environment and both Stéphane and I are locked into corporate versions of Word (Microsoft 365 licences) that do not allow individuals to add add-ins from outside the approved Microsoft add-in repository. So . . . .

We are looking for testers who either have a stand-alone version of Word or are administrators of a Microsoft 365 license. In both cases, we need to experiment with and check the ways to include the add-in in Word. The add-in will work on the following versions:
    - Word on iPad
    - Word on Mac (Microsoft 365)
    - Word 2016 or later on Mac
    - Word 2019 or later on Mac
    - Word on the web
    - Word 2013 or later on Windows
    - Word 2016 or later on Windows
    - Word 2019 or later on Windows
    - Word on Windows (Microsoft 365)

If you are able to help, please post here with contact details.

Regards,

Mark

Last edit: Mark Grimshaw 2021-02-25
    • Stéphane Aulery

Hi Mark,

I would say the more I see it the more I like this idea of add-ins for
      external software.

It would be just as well applicable to produce Markdown,LaTeX and other
      formatted texts to be inserted into a document via a text editor plugin,
      a copy paste or an HTTP link that returns a formatted result from its
      parameters.

Whatever it seems more efficient than composing inside the Word
      Processor plugin, and keeping the features of a Word processor outside
      of Wikindx.

I don't know if at this stage you have solved the problem of refreshing
      a reference already introduced in the document because it has been
      corrected or its style needs to change.

At work we have a software named Comet that allow to query data from a
      PIM (Product Information Management) via an InDesign plugin.
      Placeholders are inserted with params. During production you can select
      all placeholders and click on a refresh button.

Regards,

Last edit: Stéphane Aulery 2024-02-20
  • Mark Grimshaw

Hi Stéphane,

Yes, it opens up the gateway to doing all sorts of stuff with wikindx as the backend. And yes, I forsee the end of the plug-in word processor.

"I don't know if at this stage you have solved the problem of refreshing
    a reference already introduced in the document because it has been
    corrected or its style needs to change."
    Yes. Of course! :)
    This is solved for Word and is how the 'Finalize' document works. All in-text references are placed within Word's content controls (I've added another image in the original post) which are tagge by a combination of the wikindx the reference comes from and either the resourceId or the resourcemetadataId (when inserting a quotation/paraphrase). Additionally, I use the title of these to display the reference title (sadly limitied in number of characters). When finalizing, these content controls are all catalogued and the appropriate references pulled from the appropriate wikindices (remember you can use more than one wikindx in the same document) and these then fill a new content control which is the bibliography. Because there can only be one bibliography, finalizing again to a new style or bibliography order will replace any existing bibliography in the document – also, in-text reference content controls are replaced with the newly styled reference. If an in-text reference is removed, then finalizing will also remove it from the bibliography (unless there is more than one in-text reference to the same wikindx resource in which case the bibliographic entry is kept.

If using just one wikindx, the bibliography order comes from MySQL ordering as normal with wikindx. If using two or more, then I do the ordering within javascript so that the one bibliography is produced from multiple wikindices.

Regarding LO and google docs, I'm still at the stages of figuring out the interface and coding API so, while I hope there are similar content controls, I might have to find another method such as hidden text.

Mark

• Stéphane Aulery

I'd be happy to ditch the plugin word processor (and image handling),
      and therefore have a slight TinyMCE migration.

Is this a good reason to put more emphasis on personalized
      bibliographies as a selection of installation references for a document?

Le 25/02/2021 à 11:17, Mark Grimshaw a écrit :

Because there can only be one bibliography, finalizing again to a new style or bibliography order will replace any existing bibliography in the document – also, in-text reference content controls are replaced with the newly styled reference. If an in-text reference is removed, then finalizing will also remove it from the bibliography (unless there is more than one in-text reference to the same wikindx resource in which case the bibliographic entry is kept.

--
      Stéphane Aulery

• Mark Grimshaw

I think the image handling is still required for the metadata for each resource.

Regarding personalized bibliographies – the Word add-in operates in read-only mode and so no log-in to access personalized bibliographies. This is, perhaps, something that could be dealt with in future.

Mark

• Stéphane Aulery

Le 25/02/2021 à 11:41, Mark Grimshaw a écrit :

I think the image handling is still required for the metadata for each resource.

Yes, but If the writing is really moving out of Wikindx it no longer
          makes sense to have a rich text editor on quotes, paraphrases, notes ...
          Light formatting is enough for efficient note taking.

We can perhaps use more images as attachments or create a new type of
          (linked) resources / sub-resource figures to insert into a document as a
          figure (I don't know the english word in this context).

Regarding personalized bibliographies – the Word add-in operates in read-only mode and so no log-in to access personalized bibliographies. This is, perhaps, something that could be dealt with in future.

Yes, I forget the auth issue.

--
          Stéphane Aulery

• Mark Grimshaw

I would favour keeping the rich-text editing for metadata. There are many ways to take notes that are not just textual (artists, musicians wanting to insert visual examples). For this reason images are useful but also a way to add non-Latin characters, cross-references to other resources, subscript, superscript, paste, list, table, etc. Certainly a lot of the functionality that is used only in the word processor (e.g. footnotes, search/replace, date/time, save etc.) can be dropped.

In any case, it works as it is so a) why not leave it as it is without needing to upgrade tinyMCE and b) the word processor should only be dropped only once we have more external add-ins.

Regards,

Mark

• Stéphane Aulery

a) For security we really need to replace the old TinyMCE editor.
              Without the Word processor CKEditor is again a valid option and I was on
              a good track (half done). Image plugins for CKEditor are not good.

b) I don't plan to drop it now. I'm still going to delay to see how it
              goes.

Le 25/02/2021 à 14:43, Mark Grimshaw a écrit :

I would favour keeping the rich-text editing for metadata. There are many ways to take notes that are not just textual (artists, musicians wanting to insert visual examples). For this reason images are useful but also a way to add non-Latin characters, cross-references to other resources, subscript, superscript, paste, list, table, etc. Certainly a lot of the functionality that is used only in the word processor (e.g. footnotes, search/replace, date/time, save etc.) can be dropped.

In any case, it works as it is so a) why not leave it as it is without needing to upgrade tinyMCE and b) the word processor should only be dropped only once we have more external add-ins.

--
              Stéphane Aulery

• Mark Grimshaw

OK. Keep the status quo for now until we have external add-ins.

Mark

• Stéphane Aulery

Indeed.

Last edit: Stéphane Aulery 2024-02-20