Menu

All downloads with source folder instead of wikindx?

Help
Joachim
2020-09-03
2020-09-04
  • Joachim

Joachim - 2020-09-03

Hi all,

is it only me or have all download packages now a source root folder instead of wikindx? That's a little bit irritating and seems not right.

I already had the same problem some time ago with a SVN checkout, and then there were files missing, so I now have to depend on the official packages.

Best
    Joachim

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2020-09-04

Hi Joachim,

What files were missing?

Regards,

Mark

• Joachim

Joachim - 2020-09-04

Hi Mark,

I did a test SVN checkout again just now, with the command indicated above the SVN menu item at Sourceforge.net. This gets me something which seems to be a developers package, instead of a working WIKINDX installation. Looking further on, the trunk subdir seems to have all the needed files, but I refrained from using it because of your warnings. I don't know much about SVN, so I'm not able to install the stable branch any longer.

Another thing: Would it be possible to create the data directory in the downloads, too? The step of making it yourself seems unneeded when upgrading. I do an upgrade now by moving the old wikindx installation to wikindx.OLD, unpack the download archive, and copy the config.php and the attachments folder from the old installation. I didn't bother creating a new database, as you recommend in UPGRADE.txt, what's the advantage?

Both my servers are running with 6.3.10 now, no problems by now.

Thanks
      Joachim

Last edit: Stéphane Aulery 2020-09-04
      • Stéphane Aulery

I did a test SVN checkout again just now, with the command indicated above the SVN menu item at Sourceforge.net. This gets me something which seems to be a developers package, instead of a working WIKINDX installation. Looking further on, the trunk subdir seems to have all the needed files, but I refrained from using it because of your warnings. I don't know much about SVN, so I'm not able to install the stable branch any longer.

You already run in this problem the last time. You can't switch the branch with a single. SVN docs had misleaded me when I write the instructions in News. You need to clone again the trunk.

Another thing: Would it be possible to create the data directory in the downloads, too? The step of making it yourself seems unneeded when upgrading. I do an upgrade now by moving the old wikindx installation to wikindx.

Wikindx create them itself on the first run.

Instructions in UPGRADE.txt are misleading. It's not an upgrade only. It's an upgrade on a duplicated installation. The reinstallation step is useless. You just need to:

1. Backup code, data, db
        2. Upload the new code (or sync it with SVN) on the current installation root folder
        3. Call a page of the website to run the upgrade script

• Joachim

Joachim - 2020-09-04

Am 04.09.2020 um 13:38 schrieb Stéphane Aulery lkppo@users.sourceforge.net:

You already run in this problem the last time. You can't switch the branch with a single. SVN docs had misleaded me when I write the instructions in News. You need to clone again the trunk.

As far as I understand, there is no branch stable anymore, right? Will it be safe to install trunk just now, or should I get r634?

Last edit: Stéphane Aulery 2020-09-04
          • Mark Grimshaw

Right. There is no stable branch anymore – just trunk. Trunk seems to be stable enough for now but, as always, do not use SVN code on a production server.

Mark

• Stéphane Aulery

Read this file:

https://sourceforge.net/p/wikindx/svn/HEAD/tree/README.txt

In SVN History, the last stable revision is indicated. just do in your clone:

svn checkout -r <revnum>

• Mark Grimshaw

Hi Joachim,

Renaming to source was an oversight – 'wikindx' has now been restored in SVN.

Mark

• Mark Grimshaw

Hi Joachim,

Another thing: Would it be possible to create the data directory in the downloads, too? The step of making it yourself seems unneeded when upgrading. I do an upgrade now by moving the old wikindx installation to wikindx.OLD, unpack the download archive, and copy the config.php and the attachments folder from the old installation. I didn't bother creating a new database, as you recommend in UPGRADE.txt, what's the advantage?

As Stéphane says, data (and cache) folders are created on first running of wikindx. And, strictly speaking, upgrading by installing new code into a vacated folder is not fully upgrading.

As for the attachments folder, ther is no top-level wikindx/attachments/ folder anymore. The original attachments (PDFs etc.) should be in data/ and cache/ should also have an attachments/ folder to hold text conversions of PDFs (for full-text searching in Advanced Search).

As Stéphane says, if you really want to keep your old installation in case there is something wrong with the release code (and we do make mistakes), then back up everything in there from the top-level of wikindx/ down (without removing anything) and back up the database, then install the new code into the wikindx/ folder overwriting anything there. If there are errors with the new code, replace the (now probably updated) database with the old database and the contents of wikindx/ with the old contents and you should be good to go.

Regards,

Mark

• Stéphane Aulery

We should amend UPGRADE.txt.

• Mark Grimshaw

Indeed – it is wildly out of date! I'll take care of it.

Mark

• Joachim

Joachim - 2020-09-04

Thanks for the explanations. I knew that the attachments folder since some time is located in the data directory, that's why I had to create data myself with my upgrade (or technically rather update) procedure. But simply overwriting the code with the new one makes more sense, thanks for the tip.