Menu

RIS import

Jakob
2005-01-26
2013-06-17
  • Jakob

Jakob - 2005-01-26

Hi Mark, all,

often, at least in my field you find snippets of RIS data (some libraries, Publisher portals such as ScienceDirect, Springer etc.). Lazy as I am I would like to copy-paste these snippets to add them to my bibliographic index.

I have almost finished a quick hack to import RIS data into WIKINDX by simply pasting it into a TextInputArea. (The main intention was to find my way around in WIKINDX and to learn PHP). Up to now there is no consistency checking (doublicates a.s.o) though.

In case anybody is interest in this, please let me know. As there are several files to be modified (menues, actions, etc.), what is a good mode of committing this? Diffs? CVS? Would some simple kind of plugin mechanism be useful for future versions?

Cheers,
    Jakob

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2005-01-26

In order to enable functions such as admin creation/editing of resource types, I'll be restructuring the database.  So, while this is a great idea, I wouldn't go too far with it just yet as almost certainly various database fields will change or even be dropped while others will be added.  I also need to have a mechanism in place to translate between wikindx fields and RIS fields (not to mention bibtex, endnote etc.).

Being able to plug-in various modules such as a RIS export is a good idea if it doesn't make it to the core code.  Certainly, having such a facility will encourage others to contribute.  Let me get resource type and bibliographic style creation out of the way first then I can put some effort into that.

I also want to do some tidying up/rationalization of the code to make it easier for others to program (although I'm glad to see you at least have managed to find your way around).

• Jakob

Jakob - 2005-01-27

Hi Mark,

thank you for your immediate reply (I thought you were on vacation).
      I will stop the coding on this for now and wait for you to get out the revised core. Is there anything I could do to support you on this task?

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2005-01-27

Hi Jakob,

I am on holiday but do have access to email and forums - just no programming environment.

Can you confirm via email your sf username so I can add you to the list of developers please?

I'll have a think about what you can do while I'm coding. I'm not that familiar with RIS - perhaps a list of all possible fields and what the more unusual ones mean would be helpful.

Also, one of the other developers (Andreas) has come up with a German translation but has not responded to a request for a minor modification for about a week now.  What is the following in German:
      "You may use BBCode"
      ?
      Once I have that, I can release the German language pack once I get back home.

Are you fluent in Dutch?

Mark.

• Jakob

Jakob - 2005-01-28

Hi Mark,

I confirmed via mail.

The RIS format unfortunatly is only just a quasi-standard that major vendors of commercial reference managers ("Reference Manager", "Endnote" etc.) agreed upon. Documentation along with some sample data I am using as test can be found here:
      http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/kb/article/A626

"You may use BBCode" translates to "Sie knnen BBCode verwenden"

My Dutch is getting better but it's not sufficent to prevent people from laughing tears when reading a Dutch version of WIKINDX edit by me. And that's probably not what you want for this serious project...
      I'll ask some Dutch colleagues of mine who are interested in a solution like WIKINDX though.

Jakob

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2005-01-28

Hi Jakob,

Now added as developer - welcome!

Thanks for the German - I should now be able to release that when I get back home.

Do you actually have some software that can handle RIS?  I did all my RIS/Endnote export development during the 30-day Endnote trial ;) so it would be good to have someone who can test.

One thing I have noticed about RIS/Endnote export in WIKINDX is a slight bug/feature -- UTF-8 (as stored in the database) is exported as a '?'. I know Endnote can now (since v8 I think) handle unicode but I'm not sure what type (plain UTF-8, unicode decimal/hexidecimal?).  Again, perhaps this is something you could take care of (it may require the user to specify what type (if any) of unicode support to provide for the export.  The RTF export of unicode is working fine.

• Stephan Matthiesen

Hi, I know this is an ancient thread, but I wonder what became of the RIS Import. It doesn't seem to be in the importexport plugin, at least it doesn't appear in my menu. Would be good to have as quite a few publishers only provide RIS.

Stephan

• Mark Grimshaw

Mark Grimshaw - 2013-06-17

I'll see what I can do Stephan but it may be a few months.

Mark