Menu

I cannot copy/paste an element

Eric
2017-11-24
2017-11-27
  • Eric

Eric - 2017-11-24

It may be silly but I cannot copy a class from a class diagram (Ctrl C), and then copy it on another class diagram (Ctrl V). The user manual says that it should work.

Do anyone have the same problem ? Can anyone reproduce that and tell me if it works for him ?
    Thank you for help.
    Eric

• Janusz Szpilewski

Simple copying of elements in class diagrams should work. Nevertheless there are some limitations for sequence diagrams and some other ones. The problem may come with mixing class diagram elements with some other ones. You may verify this functionality by starting a fresh project and copy some classes. As a workaround you may drag&drop classes to a diagram from the Model Explorer.

• Eric

Eric - 2017-11-25

I tried with a new empty project but still it does not work. When I drag&drop it works of course. I could avoid the problem using drap&drop, but it does not help really.

For my need is to compare two versions of a set of architectures : thus I need to duplicate diagrams and then slightly modify copies. I would like to avoid rebuiding complex architectures on copies each time.

Any idea on how to solve the problem ?

• Janusz Szpilewski

As another sanity check you may try to copy and paste into the same diagram. Another option to check is copying using the context menu: right click - Edit - Copy. If there are still problems you might just reinstall the program with deleting the Registy key HKCU/Software/WhiteStarUML

• Eric

Eric - 2017-11-25

Impossible to paste, whatever the way (the "paste" menu stays grey as if it did see any "copy" before).

OK for reinstalling, but can you tell me what do you mean by "with deleting the Registy key HKCU/Software/WhiteStarUML" ? I am not very confortable with this type of operation and I would be sure not to loose all my work. Do you think you can help with some instructions ?

• Janusz Szpilewski

Paste may be disabled because earlier copy fails for some reason.

For clean reinstalation first uninstall WhiteStarUML. Next as administrator run regedit.exe and expand the tree branch HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WhiteStarUML. To minimize risks you can just rename it to i.e. WhiteStarUML_old. Then install WhiteStarUML again. You should see the new Registry key as well. Hopefully it will clean any misconfigurations.

• Eric

Eric - 2017-11-27

Thank you for your detailled instructions.
    The fact is that it works this morning (without re-installation) although I had tried many and many and many times before. I don't understand what have changed in the environment.

Thank you anyway for your help, and sorry for the trouble. I appreciate the time you took for answering.
    Have a good week.
    Eric

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel