these are my settings:
IP addresses and ports
Listen on IPs and ports
Bind to IP address [IP is entered] Listen on port [port is entered]
Open new ports on firewall? [checked]
Accept IPv6 connections? ['No' is selected]
Listen for broadcasts on UDP port [port is selected]
Web server hostname ['Work out from browser' is selected]
Reverse-resolve connected IP address? ['Yes' is selected]
this is what i get:
`>>>>> All Connections/Listeners <<<<<` `Proto Local Address Remote Address Status PID/Program name` `tcp 0 0.0.0.0:[selected port] 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 3522/perl` `udp 0 0.0.0.0:[selected port] 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 3522/perl`
1.) obviously, the IPv4 binding that is set is not working;
2.) the TCP port that is entered is established solely for webmin and is working;
3.) the IPv6 exclusion is working;
4.) the port opening on the firewall is not working. and
5.) i am not at all certain why/how UDP is used in webmin, but it is allowed nonetheless and working.
it is easy enough for me to control access via iptables since i want only one (1) IP used and the port selected is webmin-dedicated. however, this is a needless, extra manual step that would be obviated if the webmin configuration actually worked as it seems to be intended.
one further IP-port-related item: webmin seems to always open unique connections for every little step it executes. this is not really a problem for modern systems, but it does seem that connection-reuse might be worth addressing. to wit, today when i was looking at the config binding module and a couple of other things i ran my connection analysis script (webmin output, supra). there i saw that webmin had open a total of 27 connections. of course, these are only the ones that had not timed out before i checked.
Log in to post a comment.