#2052 perl segmentation fault

1.200
open
nobody
None
5
2014-08-22
2005-04-20
Anonymous
No

Webmin 1.200 (and 1.190 too) failed to start after
installation under FreeBSD 5.3 with perl 5.8.6

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/webmin.sh start
Starting webmin.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 6)
configuration:
Platform:
osname=freebsd, osvers=5.3-release,
archname=i386-freebsd-64int
uname='freebsd ns.optimal.odessa.ua 5.3-release
freebsd 5.3-release #0: frinov 5 04:19:18 utc 2004
root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:usrobjusrsrcsysgeneric i386'
config_args='-sde -Dprefix=/usr/local
-Darchlib=/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/mach
-Dprivlib=/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6
-Dman3dir=/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/perl/man/man3
-Dman1dir=/usr/local/man/man1
-Dsitearch=/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/mach
-Dsitelib=/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6
-Dscriptdir=/usr/local/bin
-Dsiteman3dir=/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/man/man3
-Dsiteman1dir=/usr/local/man/man1 -Ui_malloc -Ui_iconv
-Uinstallusrbinperl -Dcc=cc -Doptimize=-O -pipe
-Duseshrplib
-Dccflags=-DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/BSDPAN"
-Ud_dosuid -Ui_gdbm -Dusethreads=n -Dusemymalloc=y
-Duse64bitint'
hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef
useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=undef
useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define
usesocks=undef
use64bitint=define use64bitall=undef
uselongdouble=undef
usemymalloc=y, bincompat5005=undef
Compiler:
cc='cc', ccflags
='-DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/BSDPAN"
-DHAS_FPSETMASK -DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include',
optimize='-O -pipe ',

cppflags='-DAPPLLIB_EXP="/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/BSDPAN"
-DHAS_FPSETMASK-DHAS_FLOATINGPOINT_H
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include'
ccversion='', gccversion='3.4.2 [FreeBSD]
20040728', gccosandvers=''
intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8,
byteorder=12345678
d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8,
d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
ivtype='long long', ivsize=8, nvtype='double',
nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
alignbytes=4, prototype=define
Linker and Libraries:
ld='cc', ldflags =' -Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib'
libpth=/usr/lib /usr/local/lib
libs=-lgdbm -lm -lcrypt -lutil
perllibs=-lm -lcrypt -lutil
libc=, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
gnulibc_version=''
Dynamic Linking:
dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef,
ccdlflags=' -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/mach/CORE'
cccdlflags='-DPIC -fPIC', lddlflags='-shared
-L/usr/local/lib'

Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
Compile-time options: USE_64_BIT_INT USE_LARGE_FILES
Locally applied patches:
SUIDPERLIO0 - fix PERLIO_DEBUG local root
exploit (CAN-2005-0155)
SUIDPERLIO1 - fix PERLIO_DEBUG buffer overflow
(CAN-2005-0156)
Built under freebsd
Compiled at Apr 4 2005 11:21:08
@INC:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/mach
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/BSDPAN
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/mach
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6
.

Discussion

  • Nobody/Anonymous

    Logged In: NO

    I get the same error either install from the Freebsd ports
    or from sources. I have it running fine on an older 4.10
    Freebsd box that hasn't been upgraded for awhile.

     
  • Nobody/Anonymous

    Logged In: NO

    I just upgraded (installed) Fedora Core 4. It upgraded perl
    to 5.8.6
    When I logged into webmin it was in http not https. So I
    tried to enable ssl and save it. As soon as I clicked save
    the server peged (P4 2.4GHz 1GB RAM 1TB RAID) and shortly
    was hitting the RAID so hard I could hardly type anything at
    the shell. In short order the kernel reported that it was
    out of memory and killed perl.
    "kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 27438 (perl)."

    What I've found is that perl 5.8.6 removes links for
    previous versions of perl ( 5.8.5, 5.8.4, 5.8.3, 5.8.2 etc)
    and requires modules like NET::SSLeay to be recompled
    against the current perl.

    What I did was in webmin configuration goto the SSL
    Encription and turn it off, save and then turn it on. Webmin
    then says that NET:SSLeay is required and it provides a link
    to get and install it. I clicked on it and installed it.
    Went back and turned on SSL and everything it working great now.

    Hope this helps someone!

     

Log in to post a comment.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter:

JavaScript is required for this form.





No, thanks