Menu

DNS Translation problem

rolinger
2008-09-26
2013-04-24
  • rolinger

rolinger - 2008-09-26

Ok, a new issue :-)

My buddy and I have registered dyndns names.  At the moment he is able to connect to me via dns name and native IP, however I am unable to connect to him on either dns name or native IP.  I suspect I am unable to connect to him on native IP due to some firewall issue - we are working on that.

When I try to connect to him on native IP I can see in my "netstat" tcp session table:
      TCP    master2:2802           x.x.x.x.hlrn.qwest.net:1337  SYN_SENT

But the session never connects, again I think this is an firewall issue.

However, when I try to connect to his dns name: blah.dyndns.com (not real name) and look at the 'netstat' tcp session table I see the following:
      TCP    master2:2816           192.168.0.3:1337       SYN_SENT

192.168.0.3 ????

From cmd prompt, I perform a "nslookup blah.dyndns.com" and get the correct x.x.x.x address that is his router address.  So I know dns is working properly.  The 192.168.0.3 address does not exist locally on my network (192.168.11.x), nor on his network (192.168.1.x).  So, I have NO idea where this 192.168.0.3 address is coming from.

It seems WASTE ability to perform a DNS query is failing and its using some default IP to connect to?  Any insight into this?

Thanks.

• Deman

Deman - 2008-11-13

"It seems WASTE ability to perform a DNS query is failing and its using some default IP to connect to? Any insight into this?"

Not that i know of... That would be weird...