Call for developers.

Help
RJ Ent
2004-05-06
2013-05-08
  • RJ Ent

RJ Ent - 2004-05-06

Greetings,

Both cgavin and damonc are no longer developing vTcl. First I would like to thank both of them for their contributions. To keep the project moving I believe the project needs at least one lead developer. Anyone desire to develop  on the project and/or act in the function of a lead developer? If so please post here.

Thanks.

• 3rdshiftcoder

3rdshiftcoder - 2004-05-12

is part of the reason because damonc is actively working on apache rivet (hoping there is a windows binary release soon)?  i cant wait to try it.  i dont want to have to know both php and tcl.  it would be cool if i could use one scripting language for both scripting and gui.  i thought i heard that someone over at xotcl was interested.  i remember someone saying something about using an already existing package instead of starting from scratch and i thought visual tcl name was mentioned. 
      were you approached? anyways i am a hobbyist and not a developer so good luck with your search.

• RJ Ent

RJ Ent - 2004-05-14

Greetings,

I am unaware of any contact. damonc is putting his efforts in:

http://www.tclhome.com/vTcl.zip

Thanks.

• 3rdshiftcoder

3rdshiftcoder - 2004-05-14

Hi-

here is the link I was referring to re: xotcl.
      http://www.xdobry.de/xotclIDE/

look under todo list on this link.

"planned plug-ins
      graphical regexpr browser
      GUI builder. I want rather to adapt external GUI-Builder as implement own one. The best candidate seems vtcl to me."

thanks for the link and update on damonc.
      gui builders for tcl/tk are more important anyways.

thank you.

• Kevin D. Ogden

Kevin D. Ogden - 2004-05-17

This is definately a bummer.

How well documented is the vtcl codebase?  Unfortunately, I have to work full-time and still have to do side work just to pay my rent right now.

I might be able to "help" but I don't know if I'd be able to be the "lead" having never looked at the code base.

I do know that I use the hell out of this package though and I'd hate to see it die of bit-rot.

XOTclIDE looks like a cool project itself, from what I read he plans to basicly integrate vtcl with it.  XOTclIDE appearantly also supports plain old TCL/tk code as well.

--Kevin D. Ogden

• Ian Thompson-Bell

I am not experienced enough to contribute code but many really good open source projects get less use/exposure/credit than they deserve because of a lack of documentation. vTcl is a really excellent RAd tool so I would be happy to volunteer to help improve the  documentation.

Ian

• RJ Ent

RJ Ent - 2005-04-18

Greetings,

It would be nice (IMO) for someone to take over the work on the homepage and just update a bit with perhaps latest projects that were created with vTcl and maybe some online tips. Try mailing the developer group if you are really interested in taking on this task.  Let me know if you get any feedback.

I have contributed a workbook already listed on the page on the vTcl home page (I use when teaching with tcl/tk and vTcl):

http://www.rjent.pair.com/wwwbook/vtcl/toc.html

Many thanks and keep me updated on any news.

• Ken Parker

Ken Parker - 2005-11-04

I can hack out some things on the to do list. I don't know about all of the administrative tasks though. I hate to see a project like this die out.    

• RJ Ent

RJ Ent - 2005-11-04

Greetings,

I would encourage you to attempt to make contact with one of the developers.  CGavin was the last lead developer. I appreciate your willingness to assist on the the project.

• Ken Parker

Ken Parker - 2005-11-04

OK, I sent him an e-mail. Hopefully we can find some more developers.

• RJ Ent

RJ Ent - 2005-11-04

Greetings,

I too am willing to assist but my time is limited. CGavin is a very good person and has always been helpful. If he is still around I suspect he will respond.

• Peter Flynn

Peter Flynn - 2005-11-04

I'm just an end user learning Tcl via vTcl, so I can't help with code yet, but I write doc, especially end-user doc, if that's any use. I can't see anything in the menus which looks like a ToDo list though.

• RJ Ent

RJ Ent - 2005-11-05

Greetings,

All contributions are appreciated. If you are writting docs you are welcome to use anything from a workbook I wrote some time ago called "Programming & Problem Analysis With Tcl/Tk" located at http://www.rjent.pair.com/wwwbook/

Thx.

• Ken Parker

Ken Parker - 2005-11-04

Are you currently working on any of the code? I don't want to conflict with anything you are trying to do. So far I am just doing small fixes that are listed in the task section.

• RJ Ent

RJ Ent - 2005-11-04

Greetings,

No. All code I have worked on is in the tree I believe. In the past I just submitted to CGavin and he put in the tree.

FWIW: I have a coding assignment comming up at work that I will most likely use vTcl for, so I will be working in the vTcl enviroment and will watch for any problems with the components I use.

Thx.

• Ken Parker

Ken Parker - 2005-11-05

OK, I've been doing a little wading around in the code. It is somewhat documented. Most of the identifiers are well named so that helps. I know very little TCL and I have managed to make a few modifications. I have added simple syntax checking, and disabled the edit ability on error message boxes.  I think the code is very modifyable.

• thovo

thovo - 2005-11-08

I am very glad to see a trial to get this project come back to live again! When i've finished my MCSE certificate, which will be in the mid of next year, i'll see if i can contribute too.

Best regards, and many thanks to cgavin and damonc for their great work over the past years!

• RJ Ent

RJ Ent - 2006-07-19

Greetings All,

I am posting to let all know that kenparkerjr has taken a full time position and will no longer be able to lead project.

So we are again looking for anyone interested in taking on the project lead? Anyone interested please post here.

FWIW: I think the code is in good state. I just finished a project at one of my two jobs and the cvs worked well for me on win and linux. If we had enough people test and say ok on the cvs, I think we could at least stamp out as a new revision. Feedback welcome on the forum. Thx again.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this point.

• Strykaas

Strykaas - 2007-11-01

Hello,

I have been using vtcl for about a year now. A great tool.
      I am a pretty experienced tcl programmer, although I am no expert. I may be tempted to volunteer.
      This may be a dumb question, but what does "lead programmer" imply ? What are his main tasks ?

Regards,

Strykaas

• Ken Parker

Ken Parker - 2007-11-07

Lead programmer implies that you will take the initiative in setting project goals and decision making. However, everyone is a volunteer so its best to vote on inportant decisions. Also, you have to be aware that people have jobs and can not always dedicate time to the project. It would be great if you could take lead. I am in a very demanding job right now and would not be able to dedicate steady time to the project. However, I am going to look at the features, bugs and support requests and see if I can help.