Menu

Windows 8 Support

Anonymous
2012-09-18
2013-06-17
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-09-18

Preliminary test on Windows 8 RTM passes basic working test.
    Using Portable 4.3.
    Including Multi-monitor.

• Johan Piculell

Johan Piculell - 2012-09-19

Thanks for the test report!

/Johan

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-04

(I use Windows 8 - 64 bits)

When I apply my "Window Rules settings" I get this error :
    Error writing in window.cfg file.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-04

Ok, after investigation, it seems the Windows User Account Control (UAC) is preventing virtuawin from changing the configuration file in located in C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtuaWin_portable_4.4\Config\

I even tried to run VirtuaWin with Admin rights, but it didn't work either.

I solved this "warning annoyance" by using the freeware called "UAC bypass".
    http://freeavvarea.r00t.la/UACPass-en

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-04

I've been running with "Run as Admin" to avoid UAC issues, it worked better doing this in Windows 7.

Some of the bigger problems I have found so far are, the program tends to crash randomly. No error messages on screen, the icon is gone and it's not operating.

When restarting, it notifies me that VWPreview is still operating, which implies it was not a clean kill.
    I don't know what log files to provide.

Another issue has been the "Window Rules" not applying very well, some success with Run as Admin, but not sure if it's operator error or not operating correctly.

The last issue was that some of the Hotkeys wouldn't work.
    Specifically Move to desktop #, where I was using Alt-Shift-#, had to change them to Ctl-Shift-#.

Thank you for your continuing work.
    Please let me know what log files I may be able to provide.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-12-04

Also now using Portable version 4.4.

• Kamran

Kamran - 2012-12-28

thanks for this software… I am using v4.4 on windows 8 (64 bit) and it works grand… haven't encountered any issue yet.

• Steven Phillips

Steven Phillips - 2013-06-17

Using the portable version in 'c:\Program files (x86)\' is almost certainly the problem. The portable version is configured to write all config files to a sub-folder so it can be put anywhere and 'just work' - the exception being 'c:\Program files*\'!

Windows treats 'C:\Program Files (x86)\' as a special folder with very limited write access - for good reason, it reduces viral attacks. So if you need/want to use the portable version put it somewhere else (e.g. c:\utils\VirtuaWin), if you want it in this folder then please use the installer version which will configure VW to write its config files elsewhere.

Running VW as an Administrator is likely to improve your VirtuaWin experience as it will have the require permissions/access to manage all other programs' windows. If you don't run it elevated then it cannot manage admin windows due to UAC restrictions - plenty of further info on this available in discussion threads.

With regards crashes - please enable VW logging (Setup -> Expert -> Write events to virtuawin.log) and if you manage to crash VW please send us the log file (click on Explore Config to locate them, but please be careful not to restart VW before copying the log file as it is overwritten on restart).

With regards key bindings, Windows 7+ does grab a whole lot more hotkeys which stops the main HotKey Windows API from using them :-( If you really want to use these bindings try using the free AutoHotkey util (plenty of references to this util in these discussion boards).

Steve