Menu

My larger footprint Electrolytic capacitors

2020-05-02
2020-05-05
  • MichaelAndersson

I use these when I want smal Electro caps to jump 2 or 3 vero tracks, I can't work out how to colour them like the supplied caps. =)

• Alex Lawrow

Alex Lawrow - 2020-05-02

4 of the ones there are coloured.
    You only see the color when track slider is set to Color, and the Fill slider is not at the very left.

There are two types of shapes in the component editor.
    1) Lines (without fill). These are things that will always be drawn.
    2) Filled shapes. These have no outline, just a colour, and they are only drawn when the Fill slider is used.

Note that you should probably not draw pin outlines as you seem to have done with the 4 capacitors to the left as the tool does that anyway when you turn off pin numbers in the toolbar,
    and it will also draw them with an appropriate size (according to the hole size in the Rendering options).

• Alex Lawrow

Alex Lawrow - 2020-05-04

I corrected some problems with the caps.

1) Disabled pin numbers (it doesn't make sense for a cap)
      2) Removed the pins (since they are drawn automatically).
      3) Corrected how the fill was being defined...
      When you define shapes in the component editor, then select either the Line option or the Fill option. You had a circle (line without fill) overlaid on another c ircle (line with fill), so the line was getting drawn twice and for some reason not drawn in the exact same location (and I can't see how that happens). The way to do the fill is have two circles with one circle having line only, and the other circle having fill only (without line).

BTW, I noticed a bug in the templates dialog. When you select one of the caps in the template and ask to delete it, it seems to delete the first template it finds with that name (C1) and does not seem to pay attention to the "type". I have to find out what's going on with that.

Last edit: Alex Lawrow 2020-05-04
      • Alex Lawrow

Alex Lawrow - 2020-05-04

One thing I maybe did not explain correctly in the tutorials is how the fill works.

There are three combinations for ticking the "Line" and "Fill" checkboxes in the component editor.

1) Line only
        The shape will always be drawn with a black line and shown for all settings of the Fill slider.
        You must have at least one shape like this in order for the component description to be valid.
        2) Fill only (no line)
        The coloured shape will be drawn without an outline, and only when the Fill slider is not at the far left.
        3) Both Line and Fill checked.
        The shape will be drawn with a black outline and a coloured fill. Both the outline and the fill will only be drawn when the fill slider is not at the far left.

The logic for 3 may seem odd. The long term aim is to allow the line color to be chosen for option 3 also. The whole point of having the fill option is not to use it during the circuit design phase, but rather to give a picture that is easier to read once you've finished your design. So with the fill slider fully to the left,it should be hiding all the things that are not essential to helping you make a correct layout, so that the view is not cluttered.

Look at the attached test component, and see what happens as you move the Fill slider to the far right and far left.
        Then then look at its definition in the component editor.

Last edit: Alex Lawrow 2020-05-04
  • MichaelAndersson

Thanks Alex, I'm trying to get the hang of it but its been a long time since I had to do anything like this. I used to be an Electrician but decided to give it up because of the strong medication I'm on.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain everything so thoroughly.