Menu

Large pads and auto routes

2023-06-08
2023-06-09
  • Harshana Ranmuthu

Dear all,

When I create large pads for larger wires (130/80), Auto router does not do a good job staying away from pad copper. I've attached a sample vrt file. I'm testing this in v2.35

Please provide a fix for this.

Thank you,
    Harshana

• Alex Lawrow

Alex Lawrow - 2023-06-08

Not possible I'm afraid. The routing algorithm is a simple grid router and cannot account for track or pad sizes. It relies on having a 0.1 inch grid with all pads/tracks restricted to lie within a grid square. (i.e maximum pad size of 100mil diameter).
    If you are going to use pads that are larger than a grid square (100mil diameter) them you need to manually route things in the area near those pads.

• Harshana Ranmuthu

Hi Alex,

Is it possible for me to create a custom component with Large pad ? Actually I can but I can't create a pad in the center of the component.

Thanks,
    Harshana

• Alex Lawrow

Alex Lawrow - 2023-06-09

All pads on a component have to be the same size. To set a custom pad size for the component in the component editor, tick the Custom box and it will show controls for the pad and hole size.

• Alex Lawrow

Alex Lawrow - 2023-06-09

Regarding the example in the LargePads.vrt. Something that you might consider it so to offset the pads. You can only do this when the part is placed.
    If you press and hold down the left mouse button for 1 second on any grid-point that has a pad, then when you release the button it will launch a small dialog where you can apply offsets (up to 1/2 a grid square) to that pad.
    If you offset all pads on a component by the exact same amount, then the whole compnent (outline as well) gets offset by that amount.

This is something that you may want to do at the very end of a layout. You typically would not offset any pads by default.

Last edit: Alex Lawrow 2023-06-09