Menu

VeraCrypt Bootloader - Remove/Update

GluGlu
2024-08-31
2024-08-31
  • GluGlu

GluGlu - 2024-08-31

Searched the net far and wide, couldn't find something to work. Here is my issue:

I created a Windows System Image when the system disk was encrypted.
    Decrypted the system disk.
    Recovered my Windows 10 from the System Image.

I can't get rid of the bootloader. I mean I can move forward with ESC and boot windows, but I cannot re-encrypt my drive because I get an error when I try to do that (says it could already be encrypted - and if I restart it wont boot further) and I cannot do the Permanently Decrypt since the drive is already decrypted.

Maybe somebody can help, thanks!

• Enigma2Illusion

Enigma2Illusion - 2024-08-31

In the case of successful system decryption of the OS drive/partition but the VeraCrypt bootloader remains, try the following procedures.

1. Do not use the VeraCrypt Rescue Disk for the following procedures.
    2. On the VeraCrypt bootloader screen, press the ESC key to bypass the VeraCrypt bootloader to continue booting into Windows OS since the OS partition is decrypted.
    3. Run as administrator the Windows VeraCrypt application by right clicking on the VeraCrypt icon and selecting "Run as administrator".
    4. In the VeraCrypt application decrypt again to remove the VeraCrypt bootloader by clicking on System > Permanently Decrypt System Drive/Partition.

Hopefully this will allow VeraCrypt to replace the VeraCrypt bootloader with the original Windows bootloader that was copied at the time you performed the procedures for system encryption.

WARNING: Never use the VeraCrypt Rescue Disk to decrypt twice since the Rescue Disk will use the encryption key to the already unencrypted system drive/partition data resulting in the data being "encrypted". Running the Rescue disk a third or more times is applying the encryption key to the "encrypted" data making the issue worse.

Last edit: Enigma2Illusion 2024-09-01
  • GluGlu

GluGlu - 2024-08-31

Thank you, it worked like a charm. I tried the same before posting but I did not run VeraCrypt as admin and kept getting "Already decrypted disk" for some strange reason.

Thanks again!

👍
  • Enigma2Illusion

Enigma2Illusion - 2024-08-31

Is your Windows account on your PC in the Administrator group?

If not, that may explain why the first system decryption was not able to replace the VeraCrypt bootloader with the original Windows bootloader when it successfully completed the data decryption.