Menu β–Ύ β–΄

Command line error with 1.26.14

2024-08-28
2024-08-30
  • Eros Del Duca

Eros Del Duca - 2024-08-28

Dear friend,
    until now I was running veracrypt version 1.26. 7 and all was working fine.
    Today after updated to the 1.26.14 version I have following problems:
    Accessing a non system volume all work fine but if I run a command file, after the execution of the instruction:
    start veracrypt.exe /q /l F /m rm /v \\?\Volume{c98b9132-423d-7d44-c217-ddad870b74c9}\
    I receive the message "the data area passed to a system call is too small Source: MountVolume:8887" and the volume is not mounted.
    Same if I change the instruction as :
    start veracrypt.exe /q /l G /m rm /v \Device\Harddisk1\Partition2
    I had to downgrade to the version 1.26. 7
    It is very annoying situation.
    Any idea?
    Thanks for your attention
    Erasmo

Last edit: Eros Del Duca 2024-08-28
  • RealTehreal

RealTehreal - 2024-08-28

I'm not a Windows guy, but I would assume, that you should not execute "Device.exe" but "veracrypt.exe" to work on volumes.

VeraCrypt documentation about CLI usage:
    https://veracrypt.fr/en/Command%20Line%20Usage.html

Hope, that helps.

Greets.

• Eros Del Duca

Eros Del Duca - 2024-08-28

yes of course, it was a mistake. I corrected it.
    Sorry
    Anyway, I have read the documentation and in any case, as I have specified, with the previous version of veracrypt everything worked perfectly. And this for years, since the original truecrypt. The problem appeared after the update to version 1.26.14
    So?

Last edit: Eros Del Duca 2024-08-28
  • RealTehreal

RealTehreal - 2024-08-28

For your first command, regarding the documentation, it should be two backslashes before the question mark: /v \?\Volume{...}\

Regarding the 2nd command, you wrote "veracryypt". Anyway, you could try your commands directly on the CLI to make sure, they work as expected. Maybe something helpful comes up there.

Additionally, have a look at the changelogs to make sure, no incompatibilities regarding your volume itself was introduced by, e.g., now deprecated algorithms.

Greets

• Mis Support

Mis Support - 2024-08-28

I have the exact same regression issue with 1.26.14, with all my VC volume. So it is not an isolated incident. Reverting to 1.26.7 resolves the issue.

Veracrypt 2.6.14
    The data area passed to a system call is too small
    Source: MountVolume:8887

πŸ˜•
  • RealTehreal

RealTehreal - 2024-08-28

Do try to open volumes created with TrueCrypt? In this case, afaik, support for those was dropped.

Have you tried to mount the volumes using the VC GUI? What does it have to say to those volumes?

Greets

• Mis Support

Mis Support - 2024-08-29

Yes, I am using the VC GUI, those volumes are native veracrypt volumes.
    Example:

Type: Normal
    Encryption Algorithm: AES
    Primary key size: 256 bits
    Secondary key size (XTS mode): 256 bits
    Block size: 128 bits
    Mode of operation: XTS
    PKCS-5 PRF: HMAC-SHA-512 (Dynamic)
    Volme format version: 2
    Embedded backup header: Yes

I feel it is a filter driver compatibility / communication problem.

• Enigma2Illusion

Enigma2Illusion - 2024-08-29

@erasmo52 @csysmis

Please post your command scripts to help the developer troubleshoot the problem.

If necessary, you can replace any sensitive information in your command script with dummy information.

• Mis Support

Mis Support - 2024-08-29

I use the VC UI, not command line

• Mounir IDRASSI

Mounir IDRASSI - 2024-08-29

Thank you for the report. The number 8887 in the error message "MountVolume:8887" indicates the line number in the code of the MountVolume function (in Dlgcode.c) where the error is returned.

However, if we check the source code of version 1.26.14, line 8887 of Dlgcode.c does not correspond to an error message:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/code/ci/master/tree/src/Common/Dlgcode.c#l8887

In fact, the error message should have originated from line 8899.

This leads me to believe that the VeraCrypt.exe binary on your machine is from the older version 1.26.7. And this is confirmed by checking the source code of version 1.26.7:

https://sourceforge.net/p/veracrypt/code/ci/VeraCrypt_1.26.7/tree/src/Common/Dlgcode.c#l8887

As you can see, in 1.26.7, the error message is indeed coming from line 8887.

Could you please check the version of the VeraCrypt.exe file that you are using? It’s possible there was an issue during the upgrade, and the file was not updated correctly.

• ι£ŽδΉ‹ζš‡ζƒ³

I found that the veracrypt.sys veracrypt-x64.sys released by 1.26.14 is still 1.26.13
      It is recommended to add the version verification of file attributes

• Enigma2Illusion

Enigma2Illusion - 2024-08-29

I will add to Mounir's statement to be sure to perform the required reboot after you upgrade when the VeraCrypt installer prompts you in order to use the newer version.

Last edit: Enigma2Illusion 2024-08-29
      • ι£ŽδΉ‹ζš‡ζƒ³

I'm using Portable Mode to release, brand new catalog, I'm sure there is no confusion with the old version.

• Mounir IDRASSI

Mounir IDRASSI - 2024-08-30

@fzxx: The decision to ship driver 1.26.13 with the 1.26.14 release was intentional. I don't build and submit the driver to Microsoft for signing with each build. Submissions are only done when changes impact the driver. In this case, there were no changes between 1.26.13 and 1.26.14 that required rebuilding or resubmitting the driver. Doing so would have added more time, which I didn't have.

πŸ‘
  • Eros Del Duca

Eros Del Duca - 2024-08-29

Thank you to all contributions to solve my problem. Finally I fixed the problem, the error was due to a mismatch between the installed version and the copy of executables I invoked in the command file who was still of the old release. I am sorry. All is working fine now and one more time I thanks to all of you

• Mis Support

Mis Support - 2024-08-30

Thank you Mounir as well ! You were totally right. The issue was indeed somehow the installer failing to update the veracrypt binaries properly, even after a reboot. I uninstalled VC 1.26.7, rebooted, installed VC 1.26.14, rebooted, and everything is working fine now. Much appreciate the help.