Menu

Migrate an encrypted volume onto the D: drive of my Windows 7 PC.

2024-04-17
2024-04-20
  • Daniel M. Burkus

I joined the forum so that I could ask this question: I did not find anything relevant through the search function. I am not sure which forum I should ask this in, so "general discussion" seemed a good place to start.

I just encrypted a 1 GB external hard drive with Veracrypt, and am in the process of moving my sensative files onto that drive. Everything is working as it should, and there are no issues with any of this.

My question is, once I have finished moving my files, is there a way that I can then move the entire encrypted volume (as a file) onto the (2 GB) D: drive? I want to have the encrypted folder on my D: drive, and keep the external drive as a backup.

Could it be done as simply as copying and pasting? Or will I have to create a new Veracrypt folder on the D; drive, and then copy and paste the individual files from the encrypted external hard drive into the encrypted folder on the D: drive?

Thank you very much to anyone who will be able to help me. Please have a good day, all!

-- DMB

• Jertzukka

Jertzukka - 2024-04-19

For new users, using file containers is more straightforward as the volumes behave like regular files and can easily be moved and copied around. If you encrypted the external drive in itself, or a partition of it, you can create a disk image of the block device it and it will behave just like a file container. I'm unsure what programs are recommended for this on Windows, on Linux you can just dd it to a file.

Creating a bit-by-bit copy of your volume like this destroys your plausible deniability, so be aware. If plausible deniability is important, you should create a new file container on the D: drive and while having both volumes mounted, copying the files over to the new volume.

Last edit: Jertzukka 2024-04-19
  • Daniel M. Burkus

Jertzukka, thank you for taking time to make a reply. I decided that the easiest and less stressful thing was to move everything off of the D: drive and reformat it. Then create the container with VeraCrypt, and then copy and paste the files from the external hard drive into the newly created container on the D: drive. The operations were performed and everything turned out fine. I now have the external hard drive encrypted, and the same files also stored in an encrypted container on my D: drive. Case solved!

Thank you, again, for your offer of help. Please have a good weekend!

-- DMB