Menu

Unable to Open Truecrypt File withVeraCrypt

JimBo
2017-12-13
2018-03-24
  • JimBo

JimBo - 2017-12-13

I have a file that was created with Truecrypt on an old Win 7 PC. The file is now on my Win 10 PC in an older drive. I have installed Veracrypt and have tried to mount / load /access the file and I continue to get "I do not have permission" to open, Also the drive/file does not show up in the mounted drives list.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

• Enigma2Illusion

Enigma2Illusion - 2017-12-13

Hello Jim,

You are going to need to Google search Windows permissions and ownership on files.

Different folders can have different permissions and ownership permissions for user accounts in Windows that are inherited when you place a file in that folder and moving the file to a different computer will have different user ID associated with the file.

First, you may need to set the permissions and ownership on the dismounted file container. Then mount the file container. Set the permissions and ownership of all the folder and files within the file container.

• JimBo

JimBo - 2017-12-14

Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with how sharing permissions operate but still find it confusing. In this case the drive, the folfolder and the file all have sharing to everyone including Administrator which I signed in with. I still get "you don't have permission" when trying to access with either Truecrypt ot Veracrypt. When I trying to access it with file explorer I do not get the message but instead get "how do you want to open this file".

• JimBo

JimBo - 2018-03-08

bump

• Adrian Kentleton

Hi JimBo. Can you confirm you are trying to mount this legacy Truecrypt volume in 'Truecrypt Mode'?

• Szakmári László

+1 for this topic. Same occured for me.
    I have several copies of a 500MB file working perfectly fine with TrueCrypt all over the country.
    The mounted volume has special " permissions and ownership on files" >> all deleted except SYSTEM. (For security reasons.)

After "converting" it with the "change header key" menu option ("TrueCrypt" checkbox WAS checked!) the whole permission system corrupted inside the volume. Could not add back ownership, could not open files ... same "how do you want to open this file" problem.

It was not a big deal for me, because I had all data and could fully recreate a new volume from scratch with VCrypt, but the developers should know about this problem!