Questions from real business users regarding benefits and problems etc

Help
Aaron
2016-06-30
2024-08-15
  • Aaron

Aaron - 2016-06-30

Hi,

I have been thinking of implementing the free version of unicenta for my retail businesses, but have a few concerns.

Would really appreciate if real business users answer my questions:

-What are the immediate benefits you experienced after you started using this pos? Please be as specific as possible.

-What do you think the long term benefits might be?

-What were the top challenges/problems you encountered initially while implementing unicenta?

-What are some of the frequent problems you encounter?

-Any time/effort saving tips regarding entering your initial data?

-How do you manage your purchasing and vendors? Since unicenta currently can't manage these. If you use another app kindly mention it.

-How well does it work on mobile devices specifically android?

Thank you very much.

• Andrew

Andrew - 2016-07-01

Hi Aaron,

For starters, I own and run our small Gift and Souvenir shop in Australia. We had to implement the following:
    ▪ 5 cent rounding. I modified OpenBravo script code intially, to run at event.total (that being a user editable and user enabled script [via ticket.buttons]) from within uniCenta. However, uniCenta based on OpenBravo is pretaxed base... I mean prices set in system append tax to price (exc. tax). Totals at event.total thrown out because tax wasn't being applied to the rounding line implemented. I had to change source code so that a script was run just before total so that the rounding would be taxed too. It's rather hard to explain and I'm sure harder to understand. This won't affect you if you don't need to round or apply line edits at/for total.
    ▪ Layby's. We do them. We need them currently. The Layaway system is only for concurrent sales. We needed to remove layby stock qty from system and add the value paid deposit and instalments to each Close Cash. I did this will line modifications to remove total value of sale and then append deposit. Put in checks to ensure a customer is selected. We maintain a written invoice book with laybys and write the ticket numbers. Rather a hack attempt, but it works for us.

1. Benefits? Coming from an old TEC cash register we have detailed receipts.
      Scanning products is faster than punching numbers.
      Returns are easier to comprehend, especially if customer has receipt.
      Stock levels can be checked.
      Ordering can be done based on reported stock levels.
      Sales. I can tell what's been selling best by any particular supplier... yes custom method. I just put in the supplier name in the Properties area in products and then custom SQL script report.
      Almost all reporting I do manually through custom SQL scripts using MySQL Workbench.
      May I recommend, if you try uniCenta, please try MySQL Database. It may be a few more steps, but it's worth it.
      I'm soon to be working on a SQL script to return Stock Diary Qty on hand sorted by top Profitable items by supplier. Still working on it. Currently I use just two SQL scripts. Top 1000 sales based on Supplier (that Properties area in Product) and Suppliers, which just shows stock qty on hand from stockdiary for supplier. I copy the results to Excel and alter layout as need be.
      For discontinued lines we lead the product name with an underscore. That way we aren’t pestering the supplier for stock they no longer have when placing order.
      There's a lot of tricks you'll muster up.

2. Long term benefits? Profit! Knowing what sells and what needs to be reordered that sells is going to be great. Also customer satisfaction having a detailed receipt will surely impress... well I'm impressed with my own customisations, so maybe I'm a little biased :)
      Speed! Customer throughput. One POS, multiple customers! One comes up and you begin trans... "oh, wait I like these things". Other customer is waiting... waiting... OK, hold the slow customer (they're really appreciated because they will probably spend more) put the customer on Layaway (basket) serve the other customer and then viola, serve the previous customer!

3. Problems? Well, not really problems. Just had to find solutions to fit our needs. It took some time. Over a year in fact. I tried and tested. Different versions. Different scripts. And then, even after all that it is still developing. I'm on Windows 10 and using AutoHotKey to enhance function/productivity outside the box too.

4. Frequent problems? Not really a problem... but stock input, it's everyone's fun and games. You want that stock on the floor... or in the fridge or hamper... or on the tables. But to sell it through the system you need it in the system.
      I speed the process up by scanning invoices, reading the invoice using ABBYY OCR, send it to excel, make modifications. Save it as CSV. Import it using MySQL Workbench. Wow! That's crazy? Well, it's much faster once you've done it a few times and have a template/formulae that works! Note: You import into Products, but you have to import the ID into StockCurrent too so that it can scan... on that note, I set the Product barcode to match product invoice reference code. Then I look up the reference code in barcode field and change to actual product when processing the stock.
      Put off yet? Don't be. You don't have to do it that way.

5. Initial Data? We started with a predefined list of Manual Input products. Products with Variable Prices. Those put in to Alpha A-Z categories. We still have them. Not all stock has barcodes, and being able to sell something with even a generic description is better than a manual input without one.

6. Vendors/Supplier? I've already mentioned how I do it. SQL my friend. Though, I find him challenging at times.

7. Android/Apple? Haven't tried that yet. Clearly it doesn't run natively. You'd be like screen casting, the work being done on terminal connected. Secondary software would be required between both Win/Linux and the mobile device.

All in all, it will require user input. How much you can input will ultimately determine the output. Don't be ashamed of workarounds, if it works use it.

A lot of what I've said are workaround,s a lot of it you probably won't need to consider. But now you know, things can be done. Just download it, see how you can set it up. But, don't just rush into it at your business. Work out if you like it, if you could use it and then take steps to make it ready for your business.

Best wishes,
    Andrew

• Aaron

Aaron - 2016-07-03

Hey Andrew,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer in such an elaborate manner, these tips will surely help me start my unicenta journey.

Can you tell me how much time it took for the initial setup and how many people were involved?

Thank you again.

• Andrew

Andrew - 2016-07-04

Started with it around Nov, 2012. On and off work on my own (at my end), until launch around August, 2015. Don't let that time frame there scare you. I wasn't in a rush and had periods of inactivity.

The costs? (AU$)
    17" no-name vga+usb touch monitor ~$250-300
    no-name cash drawer ~$50-60
    no-name 58mm usb printer ~$40
    pole-display (second-hand LD220 serial) ~$100
    rest of PC, already had that.
    For a setup like this, it works fine and haven't had any hardware issue, though I'm not saying no-name cheapies are just as good as name brands such as Eposon.
    So, if you haven't got a POS system, you could set one up for around ~$1,000 AUD, with acceptable PC.

• Andrew

Andrew - 2016-07-04

Used Google cloud and still do, to maintain work on scripts (saved as txt. Edit, copy paste) and other files including images for buttons. For my launch I had unzipped the unicenta.jar and changed files so resources would be loaded to database initially. Had to edit sql file that imports data when first populating, to include such things as custom script button img/icon.
    Buy all that really is a bit pointless. You can do it all through Maintenance > Resources.

• Aaron

Aaron - 2016-07-05

Thank you for the replies!

Do you have an IT background or you just learned scripting and databases etc on the fly? Either way thats impressive!

I don't know much about those things, so i might be forced to hire a freelancer to do some customizations if required.

Can you please tell if there are good freelancers for that? Have you had any experience regarding that?

Thanks again.

• Nigel Ross

Nigel Ross - 2016-07-05

Why not contact Jack to see if he can help or you could see if you can contact Johnl, from the forums it looks like he did a lot of work in the past. and may be willing to help. Also WildfoxCoder seems to have done coding jobs to support the project.

It depends on what you need.

Nigel.

Found this what refers to some features but they do not appear to be in 3.9.

Last edit: Nigel Ross 2016-07-05
  • Andrew

Andrew - 2016-07-05

No certified IT education, beyond a level 2 IT Tafe course that I didn't complete.
    Just took a little time to work out how it works and what to change, where I could.
    I didn't do anything extensive with source code. To work with that and maintain something like this is truely a credit to those that do. They're impressive.

I don't know anyone to recommend.

If you don't have the time, then yeah you'll have to find someone to make changes. Though, what changes are you looking at?

• Alex Rodriges

Alex Rodriges - 2024-05-25

Thanks for sharing your recommendation for icoholder.com! It's always helpful to hear about platforms that real businesses find valuable. Can you elaborate on how ICOholder has specifically helped you address some of the questions or challenges you've encountered in your business? Sharing practical insights could be incredibly beneficial for others navigating similar waters. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience!

• Mildred Whetzel

Mildred Whetzel - 2024-08-13

Understanding these questions is crucial for tailoring services to meet their needs.Here, real business users often ask about the benefits and challenges of various solutions. Addressing concerns such as cost, efficiency, and implementation hurdles helps businesses make informed decisions, ensuring that the solutions provided are both effective and aligned with their goals.

• Muhammad Amirr

Muhammad Amirr - 2024-08-15

When considering the benefits and problems faced by real business users, a common question arises is edreams reliable? For many, the platform offers convenience and a wide range of options for booking flights and accommodations, which are beneficial for business travelers who value efficiency. However, some users have reported issues with customer service and hidden fees, which can be problematic when travel plans change unexpectedly. Overall, understanding these potential advantages and drawbacks helps business users make informed decisions about using eDreams.

Last edit: Muhammad Amirr 2024-08-15