Menu

Problem with Tiger - OS X 10.4

Help
tnt0
2005-04-27
2013-04-11
  • tnt0

tnt0 - 2005-04-27

When I go to the System Preferences > uControl, I've got a message: uControl Kernel Extrension Not Loaded
    Load at Startup is checked.
    Button "Load Extension" don't work.

• Adam Raymond

Adam Raymond - 2005-04-30

Just a little info for ya tnt:

I just did a fresh install with Tiger, and when I went to install uControl I got this message:
      -------------
      uControl cannot be installed on this computer.

This version of uControl can only be safely installed on Mac OS X 10.3.8. (Technically, that's an over simplification.  The installation requires kernel extension IOHIDFamily version 1.3.6 and IOADBFamily version 7.0.2, if available.)
      -------------
      I'm guessing your install got broken in the upgrade do to incompatabilites, so we'll just have to wait for the devs to release a Tiger version.

• Greg Lincoln

Greg Lincoln - 2005-05-02

In Tiger there is now a Modifier Keys setup that I don't recall seeing in Panther. You can remap many of the mod keys to get a non-mac keyboard to work with little trouble. The real issue is switching back and forth, as this maps for all keyboards, and not just one.

I'm sure a resourceful applescripter or plist monkey can get a script running with little effort to at least have this switched between keyboards.

uControl is still the best overall, considering it's per-keyboard abilities. I'd imagine before someone finds a way to write an applescript, the uControl team will have an update to make us all very happy.

Good luck!

• Sam Volchenboum

Sam Volchenboum - 2005-04-30

Oi. Not having uControl is almost a Tiger dealbreaker for me.

Please - try to fix this. I don't like Sidetrack.

I'll pay!

• Bob Harris

Bob Harris - 2005-05-01

Oh yes.  A Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) version please.

I use uControl on my iBook to make my 'enter' key a function key and then I have an easy "Home" and "End" function keys from my enter-left-arrow and enter-right-arrow.  I love that.

And CapsLock is Control, where is belongs :-)

On my Workstation at work, I use a PC style keyboard and there I remap Capslock to Control, and I swap Alt & Windows key so Alt becomes my Apple Command key next to the space bar.

While not having uControl may not be a deal breaker, I will think rather hard whether I am going to upgrade without it (at least for a week or 2 :-)

I'll be watching VersionTracker for an announcement.

Thanks for a great utility.  I've recommended it frequently.

Bob Harris

• Oskar Lissheim-Boethius

The biggest gripe I have (since I like SideTrack) is to not be able to re-map the Enter key (hate you!) and using forward-delete. Please fix this soon. Double Command isn't working either so us Powerbooks users are completely in the red :(

• bkarsif

bkarsif - 2005-05-05

I agree!  Please please update ucontrol for Tiger!  I'm miserable without it!  Sidetrack isn't nearly as good (imo).  Thanks for all your great work!

• tnt0

tnt0 - 2005-05-17

Please see the note on uControl's status for Tiger.
      http://gnufoo.org/index.html