Trigger Rally version 0.6.5 - regex_error

Help
Icavot
2018-08-06
2018-08-07
  • Icavot

Icavot - 2018-08-06

Greetings. I use Linux Mint 17.1 KDE.

I have installed the development libraries. I also installed g++ v.4.9 (that was a pain...).

After building Trigger Rally 0.6.5 I try to execute it, but I get this error message:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::regex_error'
    what(): regex_error
    Aborted

• Andrei

Andrei - 2018-08-06

Apparently g++ 4.9 was the first version to fully implement C++11 regular expressions (regex). This means that support for them may be buggy. In addition you might still be using an outdated libstdc++ library, see possibly:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.VERSION

Unfortunately I couldn't pinpoint which version of libstdc++ was the first to fully support regex.

According to StackOverflow you could test regex support by building and running the following example program:

#include <regex>

int main() {
        return std::regex_match("StackOverflow", std::regex("(stack)(.*)"));
    }

$ g++ -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -std=c++11 -o regex_test.exe regex_test.cpp
    $ ./regex_test.exe

If the test program runs without crashing with the same regex error that affects Trigger Rally, that would at least show your problem isn't caused by outdated compiler and libraries.

However if it does crash, I suggest updating your system to a newer version of Linux Mint. If you are unwilling/unable to update your installation, I'll create a VM for myself with Linux Mint 17.1 just for experiencing the mess you're in, though I somehow doubt that would help.

• Icavot

Icavot - 2018-08-07

libstdc++ library:
    /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.25

As to the “test program”, this is what I got:

I don't really know what it means, I'm not an advanced linux user.

I think the best thing I can do is to install a newer version of Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Trigger Rally 0.6.5 is in the repositories of the latest version, so it is easy to install with a package manager (synaptic, muon, etc). It's a great game.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2018-08-07

I don't really know what it means

It means that in theory Trigger Rally should run without a regex error. In practice, something is wrong.

I think the best thing I can do is to install a newer version of Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

I agree. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you encounter problems again let us know and we'll investigate in more depth.