Menu

Screenshots of Custom Vehicles

2016-09-02
2024-08-19
1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)
  • Joshua Pagnola

Joshua Pagnola - 2016-09-02

I've tried porting some models from other games into trigger.
    Screenshots below.
    https://goo.gl/photos/LVvxm9A9GPVrcezPA

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-02

Cool. I am very interested in integrating more cars into the official release. Could you share them? Did you adjust the properties of the vehicles like weight and physically relevant values too or did you only add the new 3d meshes and textures utilizing already present vehicle definition values?

Can your vehicles and all their source files be released under GPL v2 like the rest of the game? We decided to not use any copyrighted brands on our textures. So this would need to change, but that would be managable even for me.

And since I so far was totally incapable of adding new vehicles myself: Could you do kind of a little howto guide? I got totally stuck with Blender and what export adjustments are necessary to end up with .obj and .mtl files that Trigger Rally can actually use.

It would be fantastic to finally have some fresh cars in the game. Of course I wouldn't actually go for a full police vehicle with the blue light bar included, but without it this model would be a great addition too.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2016-09-02

This looks pretty good so far, with only the wheels needing to be reworked. From what I can see the wheels are currently part of the car body so they don't turn and spin.

As Onsemeliot wrote, the branding will also need to be reworked, as some distributions refuse to package older versions of Trigger Rally because of the car textures.

Anyway, I am excited about the prospect of finally getting new cars models.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-02

From what I can see the wheels are currently part of the car body so they don't turn and spin.

How could you spot this from 6 screenshots? Did I miss a somewhere attached ressource?

• Joshua Pagnola

Joshua Pagnola - 2016-09-02

The vehicle definitions are based off of the existing ones, but they've been edited to better fit the vehicles. The focus and stratos are from Colin McRae Rally Mobile and the Police car is from Left 4 Dead, so they couldn't really be released with the game.
    And yes, wheels are seperate from the body.
    Download below:
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/em7gjlv1eyqyl/trigger-rally_cars

• Xandr

Xandr - 2023-11-12

Great thanks for cars, Joshua!
      I like 'jeep' the most - compact, good handle and quite stable on road.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-02

The focus and stratos are from Colin McRae Rally Mobile and the Police car is from Left 4 Dead, so they couldn't really be released with the game.

A shame. But did you create the .mob and .mtl files yourself in Blender or could you just use similar files from these other games?

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-02

Andrei, didn't you limit the length of the car names? In the vehicle selection the string "Lancia Stratos" obviously is to long and heavily overlaps with the other values in the right column. Even if we would alter this screen layout in order to fit in longer strings it doesn't make much sense to use as long car names since we would still need to crop them in the highscore list.

I know, unfortunately we can't use those cars in our release, but it's interesting and fun to test them anyway. Thank you, Joshua!

• Andrei

Andrei - 2016-09-02

Andrei, didn't you limit the length of the car names?

Yes I did, but only in the "Best Times" menus, and not in the vehicle selection screen. Let me know what's the maximum number of letters allowable for a vehicle name.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-03

Let me know what's the maximum number of letters allowable for a vehicle name.

In the car selection menu 11-12 chars would be the maximum before the name hits the right hand colum. To how many chars did you limit it in the best times table?

• Andrei

Andrei - 2016-09-03

In the best times table, the car name has 9 characters.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-03

So I would just use one limit. Either 9 for the car selection or 11-12 for the best times view too.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-03

Tahnk you very much for making a tutorial, Joshua. I will try it out as soon as possible. Aren't there any more export options I need to set right when I export a model vom Blender?

• Joshua Pagnola

Joshua Pagnola - 2016-09-04

Not that I've used.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-04

Unfortunately I can't fill in many of the gaps in your tutorial since I don't know how to actually do the tasks you just mention without mentioning what menus I can find them in or what short-hand commands I would need to use. My knowledge of the Blender UI is rather limited. :(

• Joshua Pagnola

Joshua Pagnola - 2016-09-04

Ok I'll try to update it.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-04

Sorry, but I'm a total beginner with Blender. Therefore I don't know if I can expect you do adapt your tutorial in such a way that even I could get it done.

I managed to import a free car and I could even add the missing surfaces at the bottom, but I do not even get how I actually can map the texture properly to the new surfaces and how I can import an other file into a new layer in order to adjust sizes and orientation ...

• Joshua Pagnola

Joshua Pagnola - 2016-09-05

Honestly I have like no knowledge about unwrapping UVs. And to move an object between layers you can hit M and then the layer number. To switch which layer is visible you can just press the number for the layer. If you look up BornCG on youtube he has probably the best info.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-06

Thanks for all your help. I will keep trying.

• Joshua Pagnola

Joshua Pagnola - 2016-09-07

When it finishes uploading >> https://youtu.be/NoVadJsPZsk

• Andrei

Andrei - 2016-09-12

@ Joshua: considering that the 0.6.5 release has been set to December this year, could you find the time to help us with the cars?

In present, the cars look badly lighted due to their low poly count. If you could help improve the current models, that would be an excellent start.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2016-09-14

Lancia Delta, nice. You probably like the Audi Quattro as well, am I right? (I'm thinking about the old, longer version.)

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2016-09-14

I envy you for the ease in which you obviously can add new cars. The only odd thing about this new car is in my opinion the rather steep and long rear spoiler/fin.

Is this a model that would cause legal issues if we release it under GPL v2?

1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)