Menu

Packages for Fedora now available

2019-05-04
2019-05-09
  • Kevin Kofler

Kevin Kofler - 2019-05-04

Hi,

Packages for Fedora are now available in the kkofler/trigger-rally Copr. To get them into Fedora proper, I will have to get the SRPM through the official Fedora review process, which will likely take at least a few days. At that point, I might end up deleting the Copr, but I will let you know in time when that happens.

Kind regards,
    Kevin Kofler

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2019-05-05

Thank you very much Kevin. That was really fast. Yesterday you did mention something upstream could be improved. Can you elaborate on that? If there is no good reason to keep everything as it is I suspect we should and could do what you suggest since you are an experienced package manager.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2019-05-07

Can you elaborate on that?

@Onsemeliot: if this was a public chat could you link to it, in case Kevin doesn't return to post here?

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2019-05-09

It wasn't. I will try to write an email.

• Kevin Kofler

Kevin Kofler - 2019-05-09

We had talked in person at a local event.

What I had mentioned there was that it would be helpful for packaging if you were including a .desktop file and an .appdata file, and ideally installing it to the proper place with make install.

OpenSUSE already submitted patches:

but they were never merged, as far as I can tell.

An additional issue that I found in the meantime is that the makefile hardcodes a run of strip, which I have to patch out for Fedora packaging because it breaks our automatic -debuginfo and -debugsource subpackage generation. (We build all our packages with debugging information, then RPM splits it into separate files and puts it into separate subpackages that are not installed by default.)

• Kevin Kofler

Kevin Kofler - 2019-05-09

It may also be worth considering using CMake instead of a handwritten makefile. It would make it easier for you to install the files into the correct place and for us to package the software.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2019-05-09

Thank you very much for coming back again and providing your suggestions, Kevin. I hope this will be fruitful.

• Andrei

Andrei - 2019-05-09

.desktop and .appdata
    To me (a Windows user) it seems that adding and maintaining these files is the responsibility of the Linux packagers because it only affects Linux users. That said, I'll be in favor of adding them, if the other members of this project (Linux users) are also in favor.

Remove strip
    I'm in favor of this. I noticed that the Debian people also patch out the stripping. Apparently it's a hassle for everybody and admittedly it belongs in a target such as install-strip.

Use CMake
    I'm in favor of this. A user once contributed a CMake file but it wasn't incorporated back then. It's time to revisit this idea.

Last edit: Andrei 2019-05-09
  • Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2019-05-09

Since I can't code anything my opinion on this might not be relevant but I'm also in favour of the propsed changes.

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2019-05-09