Onsemeliot - 2021-04-17

I normally create an Inkscape file to define coordinates for checkpoints and codriver signs. Since it is possible to also add traffic signs I define them there too. This works in principle rather fine most of the time.

But if I need to use higher resolution colour maps for creating roads with somewhat reasonable markings on it while at the same time having the possibility to keep the horizontal scale and tile size at reasonable values (for older hardware) I need to set the coordinate scaling option in the race tag to an other value than the horizontal scale from the terrain tag.
This works as intended as long as I don't use traffic signs too. Unfortunately, the scaling of the traffic sign coordinates is obviously connected to the size of the map images and not to the race coordinates. Therefore, when the colour map is not the same resolution as the height map the coordinates don't match the race tags coordinate scaling any longer. At the moment I work around the problem by for example halving the actual coordinates from the Inkscape file in order to match it with the checkpoint positioning. But this is rather cumbersome. Especially if I position many traffic signs.

If I instead could use the original values but use the "coordscale" attribute just like I can in the race tag then I could just keep using the original values and adapt the scaling factor accordingly.

I hope I was able to describe this problem in a way you can understand me.

By the way: Unfortunately we missed the freeze date for the next Debian release. We can only create a backport if we want to enable people of the Debian stable release to use a newer version of our game for the next two or so years.