Menu

cmd files in distribution - proper shutdown cmd missing

2016-02-26
2016-04-10
  • Erwin Groen

Erwin Groen - 2016-02-26

Thanks for making the windows deamon. Currently using it on headless windows server in combination with Transmission Remote GUI. However I just could not get the deamon to save its settings on exit to the json file. I stopped the deamon using the included stop-deamon.cmd. Just discovered that this does NOT stop it gracefully, it does a kill process! So I think it is better to rename stop-deamon.cmd to kill-deamon.cmd. And add a stop-deamon.cmd with contents:

@ECHO OFF

REM transmission-remote localhost:9091 -n user:passwd --exit
    transmission-remote localhost:9091 --exit

This will properly write the config file and if executed in cmd window will give you the response:

localhost:9091/transmission/rpc/ responded: "success"

Edit: I now also have a proper dht.dat file and stats.json file in the .config folder. Never seen these before either!

Last edit: Erwin Groen 2016-02-26
  • cfp p2p

cfp p2p - 2016-02-27

Thanks for making this post. There is also more information on proper shut down of Transmission Windows Daemon here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/transmissiondaemon/discussion/general/thread/b4eea1a5/

One should read totally through all the posts there for some important points.

• Erwin Groen

Erwin Groen - 2016-04-10

Thanks, your soft-STOP has the right commands for a gracefull stop. Guess that is ok as long as users realize that you should not use the original stop_deamon.cmd AT ALL.

I also have a start_deamon_paused.cmd which starts the deamon with all torrents in paused mode. So you can select later which ones to start or do some re-checks before starting.

echo Starting deamon PAUSED
    transmission-daemon --pid-file transmission-daemon.pid --paused