Compile Tora-1.3.14-1 from scratch

Help
Anonymous
2004-08-04
2004-08-19
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-08-04

Hi,

I'm a oracle user, some day maybe an administrator... And a huge fan of linux...
    As a newbie I would like some help to install from source   tora-1.3.14-1 for Oracle8i and qt-x11-free-3.3.2...
    After setting up ORACLE_HOME, PATH... Installed from source qt-x11-free-3.3.2... I tried to install tora... It seemed to complete the process successfully, but then when I tried to run it, there is no connection plugin... What am I doing wrong? Thanks...

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-08-04

Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm currently using Mandrake 9.2 at work and 10.0 at home...

• Carey M. Drake

Carey M. Drake - 2004-08-04

Do you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to include $ORACLE_HOME/lib, or have you added $ORACLE_HOME/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf?

For the second option, you'll need to specify the full path to ORACLE_HOME/lib instead of using the environment variable.

C.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-08-04

Hi Carey,

Thanks for your reply... I do have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set... I do use oracle's account to configure and then to make Tora... Then after it's done I use root account to make install... So I dont know what is wrong!!!

gcc version 3.3.1

env | grep -i oracle

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/oracle/Oracle/lib
      ORACLE_SID=ora8i
      ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle
      PATH=/usr/local/qt-x11-free/bin:/usr/local/tora/bin:/home/oracle/bin:/usr/local/java/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/home/oracle/Oracle/bin
      PWD=/home/oracle/tmp/tora-1.3.14.1
      HOME=/home/oracle
      ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/Oracle

export PATH=/usr/local/qt-x11-free/bin:$PATH

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/tora-1.3.14-1 --with-qt=/usr/local/qt-x11-free
      checking for perl... perl
      checking for KDE include files ... /usr/include
      checking for KDE version ... 3.1.3
      checking for KDE print support ... yes
      checking for KDE libraries ... /usr/lib
      checking for KDE base ... /usr
      checking for Qt library linked to KDE ... libqt-mt
      checking for Qt library ... /usr/local/qt-x11-free/lib
      checking for moc ... /usr/local/qt-x11-free/bin/moc
      checking for uic ... /usr/local/qt-x11-free/bin/uic
      checking for lrelease ... /usr/local/qt-x11-free/bin/lrelease
      checking for lupdate ... /usr/local/qt-x11-free/bin/lupdate
      checking for Qt include files ... /usr/local/qt-x11-free/include
      checking for Qt version ... 3.3.2
      checking for library consistency ... yes
      checking for static Qt library ... no
      checking for Oracle ... /home/oracle/Oracle
      checking for Oracle version ... 8.1.7.0.0
      checking for MySQL support ... Available through QSql only with Qt >= 3.0.0
      checking for any database ... Oracle QSql
      checking for extra libraries ... -lcrypt
      checking for plugin support ... yes
      checking /usr/bin/cc compiler ... yes
      creating Makefile
      creating designer files .......................................... done
      creating moc files ... done
      creating empty dependfiles ... done
      removing leftover intermediate files ... done

gmake

su -c "gmake install"

• Carey M. Drake

Probably a stupid question, but are you running TOra from the oracle account (with the same environment as used to build it)?

Also, if you run TOra from a shell prompt, do you get errors reported?

Also also, do you by any chance have a .torarc in your home directory that specifies an invalid PluginDir (maybe from an old installation)?

• Hampton Maxwell

Hampton Maxwell - 2004-08-19

I got bitten by this as well, switching between the source and precompiled versions.  Is there any chance TOra could check for changes between the two or alternately include a note in the INSTALL file?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-08-04

Carey,

Exactly the same user used to install oracle, same environment, paths, etc...
      I just figured out my problem... Pretty much stupid problem!!!! Newbie problem... First time to make all dumb things... Second time you learn eventually...
      Let me explain what happened. As I did install with --prefix to select my own location to tora... All plugins were install into /usr/local/tora-1.3.14/lib/tora instead of /usr/local/tora-1.3.14/lib... All that I had to do was to copy/move *.tso from /usr/local/tora-1.3.14/lib/tora to /usr/local/tora-1.3.14/lib and execute ldconfig -v again... it works perfectly... But to reach that conclusion I installed it 3 or 4 times...
      Do you have any idea why all plugins were installed in /usr/local/tora-1.3.14/lib/tora? Is it how tora was meant to be installed?

Thank you so much for your help

• Carey M. Drake

I blv that's how Henrik (the author) meant for it to be installed, though I prefer the structure you've used personally.

However, I believe TOra should have read the plugins from /usr/local/tora-1.3.14/lib/tora unless you had an existing .torarc in your home directory specifying the other directory.