using tinyxml++

Developer
txmlSysmon
2006-10-06
2013-05-20
  • txmlSysmon

txmlSysmon - 2006-10-06

I would like to use the tinyxml++. I see a sample project is provided for visual studio. I was wondering if there is a sample project for gcc in linux. Thanks for your time.

• RJP Computing

RJP Computing - 2006-10-06

Thanks for your interest. There is a premake.lua script that can be used to generate Code::Blocks projects, Visual C++ 2003/2005, and makefiles. All you need to do is go and download Premake. It is very small and doesn't need any install. You can find it here:
      http://premake.sf.net

Then run this from the tinyxml directory:
      * Generate makefiles
      premake --target gnu

* Generate Code::Blocks projects
      premake --target gnu

You can easily get the help for your options by running this:

premake --help

It is a great tool and this is new for TinyXML++ so bare with us as we clean up all the old project files. Premake is the definitive way to get all the types of project files.

Regards,
      Ryan
      RJP Computing

• RJP Computing

RJP Computing - 2006-10-11

Sorry I mistakenly put the wrong command to generate Code::Blocks projects

Here is the correct syntax
        * Generate makefiles
        premake --target gnu

* Generate Code::Blocks projects
        premake --target cb-gcc

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
        Ryan
        RJP Computing

• Ellers

Ellers - 2006-10-11

It is an off topic question, but how would you compare Premake with MPC (i.e. the tool used by the ACE toolkit)?

• RJP Computing

I am not familuar with MPC. I am assuming you mean MakeProjectCreator, but I can't find a website or documentation on it so I can't really give an opinion

• Ellers

Ellers - 2006-10-11

I mentioned ACE (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html) but good point that I should have included a direct link to MPC - here you go:

http://www.ociweb.com/products/mpc

• RJP Computing

At a quick glance:

* Premake looks easier to setup because there are no dependencies. I believe you have to have pearl on your machine, I know all normally have it but Windows, but that is a big user base.

* Premake uses Lua instead of pearl. This is a personal taste.

* Premakes documentation is good. Not great, but good. I feel better than MPC readme file.

* I feel that MPC is still very complicated where Premake keeps it simple, but giving you ways to easily expand. I have used BakeFile and I feel that is the same way. Barely any documentation, very powerful, but overly complicated.

* Premake supports Code::Blocks and MPC I don't think does. This is a big one for me because I use Code::Blocks a lot.

In many ways they look similar:

* Both can script in the build scripts.
            * Both can have include files for repetitive tasks.

Bottom line I feel that Premake is a better choice for me. I love elegant simple, but expandable solutions.

DISCLAIMER: These are opinions not facts. It is usually up to the developer to choose the tool that fits the task.

Regards,
            Ryan
            RJP Computing

• Ellers

Ellers - 2006-10-12

Very interesting, thanks. Thanks for taking the time to have a look and comment.

• Anonymous - 2011-09-20

Have you dropped support for premake for tinyxml lately? Kind of a hazzle since our software support different kind of build environments and we're using tinxyml. Is it something you could add again to the project?

• RJP Computing

RJP Computing - 2011-09-20

Premake is supported in TinyXML++, not TinyXML.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks