Menu

How to build libtesseract304.dll

Help
2017-02-13
2017-02-13
  • brian boutin

brian boutin - 2017-02-13

I need to make a minor modification to ccmain/pagesegmain.cpp so images get dumped to a temp directory instead of the default which is the tesseract working directory. I have this figured out but I am having trouble building the libtesseract304.dll. Are there any instructions anywhere where a java developer who has no experience with visual studio can figure this out? Here is a stackoverflow i posted: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42140445/building-tesseract304-dll-with-source-code-modification I actually can get the project to build when running the tesseract.sln but when i take the .dll and replace it in the .jar it doesn't work. Please help. I could also go this route and get the code i wrote working with tesseract302 but I am baffled by this one as well: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42144364/code-works-with-tess4j-with-tesseract-3-04-but-not-tesseract-3-02

Thanks for any advice or help or instructions. Been slamming my head against the wall for a week now

• Quan Nguyen

Quan Nguyen - 2017-02-14

Brian,

We've been using the DLLs and VS solution/project from Charles Weld's site. Try to get it to compile successfully first before attempting to put in your custom change. Once you got a good DLL, then you can tell Tess4J-3.2.1 to use it by setting jna.library.path property.

Tesseract 3.02 is too far back that I cannot remember how we got the DLLs or compiled them, probably from his site as well.

Quan

• brian boutin

brian boutin - 2017-02-16

Quan,
    Thank you, I got it built. Now I am trying to get my app to use it. So if I call System.setProperty("jna.library.path", "C:/path/to/libtesseract304.dll"); it should use the .dll here and not the one inside the tess4j-3.2.1 jar? It is still using/loading the .dll's in the jar and not my custom build. Thanks for any clarification

• brian boutin

brian boutin - 2017-02-16

I can see the modified .dll being loaded into c:/temp/jna folder and I also see the tess4j jar in the c:/temp directory that has win-32x86 and the gsdl32.dll, liblept173.dll, libtesseract304.dll and I'm getting an UnsatisfiedLinkError "%1 is not a valid Win32 application"

• Quan Nguyen

Quan Nguyen - 2017-02-17

The error message indicates you have a bitness compatibility issue, either a 32-bit DLL with Java 64, or vice versa.

And look at the last code example in the Tutorial.

Last edit: Quan Nguyen 2017-02-18
  • brian boutin

brian boutin - 2017-02-22

figured it out. thanks

Last edit: brian boutin 2017-02-22