When we cut a capture from the command line we can receive this summary output:
0 packets captured
1 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
Here we can see that there is a mistake on the sentence (1 packets instead of 1 packet)
the little patch to correct tcpdump.c about plural output error
I've checked into the trunk and the 4.1 branch changes based on the patch (not printing a NUL character with %c, but printing an empty string with %s instead), and also fixed another packet-count message; I also defined a macro to return either "s" or "" and used that in tcpdump.c and also in some places where it was being done by hand.
Administrators of the "tcpdump" SourceForge project have superseded this tracker item (formerly artifact 3199012, now patch 111) with issue 270 of the "tcpdump" GitHub project.