Where can I find the structure of file ngc2000.dat?
I trying to see in http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/File_and_Director
but did't find it.
You seem to have CSS turned off.
Please don't fill out this field.
Look at http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_Nebulae_Images
The ngc2000.dat file is now in binary form that reduces its size from over 1.3
MB to 245KB. It wil need to be converted back to an ASCII file to be edited in
a text editor. The structure mentioned in
will then be apparent
I5370 Gx 00 00.1 +32 45 m And 0.7 15. p pB, S, R, stell N
After editing the file will then need to be saved as a binary file. The
algorithm used for the conversions I don't know.
RE: your latest post - 2011-07-08 05:23:13 EDT
Kudos to the whole Stellarium team for putting together something that works
so nicely and that has a very intuitive GUI.
I have reviewed your posts and the Stellarium <Adding_Nebulae_Images> wiki -
but I still cannot reconcile the documentation with your response. In
particular, the definition of what is in cols 30-40, and what comes after col
53 in the file format.
Would you have a more recent and up-to-date file description and by any chance
a QBASIC snipit to access ngc2000.dat in order extract/populate the required
fields. Since this is now in a binary file format I am a little lost here.
I have been successful preparing and adding images (in place of existing
Messier objects) where there are existing entries in ngc2000.dat,
ngc2000names.dat, textures.json, and nebula_textures.fab. I was also able to
easily replace the existing lunar texture with a high resolution lunar
My quest is to take advantage of recent imagery from various astronomical
sources at much higher resolution than what Stellarium initially provides and
also to populate the deep sky objects that currently do not have an image.
I use a Meade 8" Schmidt/Cassegrain and am working in the constellation Leo
for now near M65 and M66.
Re: my last post (2011-09-18 12:32:59 EDT)
I used the JSON Script Validator and found there was an error (quote marks) in
the code snipit that I was using to populate the textures.json file. This
resolved my dilema and now I am a happy camper. After a little poking around
it turns out that the ngc2000.dat file contained the initial data for the
nebula, NGC3521, that I was looking for. This resolved my problem.
Sign up for the SourceForge newsletter: