Menu

Ver 1.4 and Exchange 5.5 forwarding to ISP's

Help
Dustin
2005-03-23
2013-04-08
  • Dustin

Dustin - 2005-03-23

This one has me scratching my head so I hope someone out there can help.
    Before implementing Fluffy this was not a problem.

We have some users who are using an ISP for their e-mail but put name@mydomain in their user information and "reply to" rather then the name@isp.

These users  have a mydomain mailbox on Exchange 5.5 that forwards their mail to a custom recipient which is the mail box at their ISP.

The problem is that if name1@mydomain sends an e-mail to name2@mydomain, when we try to forward the e-mail to name2's ISP we are getting errors like :
    "The Destination Server reported 501 name1@192.155.123.21 domain literals are not allowed"
    or:
    "The Destination Server reported 550. ISP requires a valid sender domain from name1@192.155.123.21"

192.155.123.21 is the IP of the ISP mail server where the e-mail originated from. They are catching on to the fact that name1@mydomain actualy sent the mail from the their ISP's IP.

Outside of the X Processing tag I do not see anything significantly different in the header information og the e-mails with or without Fluffy. Some where name1@mydomain is being changed to name1@the isp's IP?

This does not happen if I bypass Fluffy.

Why does it happen?
    Can anyone think of a work around?

• Willem Jackson

Willem Jackson - 2005-03-24

Now, I could be completely wrong, but try this and see what happens.

Try adding name1@192.155.123.21, name2@192.155.123.21 etc to your Email Addresses tab in Fluffy.

• Dustin

Dustin - 2005-03-24

Adding the users e-mails to the e-mail tab does not resolve the issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Hogan Long

Hogan Long - 2005-03-26

Are you having this problem with AOL?

I recently started having a problem forwarding to aol -- they are giving a 421 error.
      (http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/421dnsnr.html)

The problem is that it gives this error when the email originates from aol!

It seems they parse the page for ALL cases of aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd and then do a reverse dns on that number and if they don't find it they reject the letter.  I would not care (hey it is a good anti-spam tool) BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE HAVE ALL YOUR SERVERS CHECK OUT.

Sorry for the mild rant.  I believe this started about Feb 15th.

So to recap the problem is someone at AOL sends a letter to my mail server... it goes thru fluffy, my mail server forwards it to an aol user and it gets rejected with a 421

Of course mail direct from my server does not get the 421.

Basically AOL is saying their users are spammers and won't accept mail from them!

Ironic in a way.

Hogan

• BJ Freeman

BJ Freeman - 2005-04-16

can you post part of the fluffy log.
      Also the header of one of emails before it is sent to the ISP.
      I am guesing it has to do with the way fluffy determins the ISP and can not resolve the IP to a Domain.

• BJ Freeman

BJ Freeman - 2005-04-16

I see you entered a bug report so if you can add those to that report.
        thanks.